Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi everyone,

So, I am not a native English speaker. My English is generally very good (I have the CPE certification, which is CEFR level C2), especially when I'm writing. Spoken English, however, is a whole different beast. I am from Germany, meaning that I do have a pretty heavy accent, which I would like to eliminate as much as possible. To make things even harder, I used to have quite a stutter, which I have managed to eliminate years ago, but it still shines through when I'm nervous or otherwise agitated. Also, I lisp. I was told it wasn't too bad, but it seems like it's heavy to me. What I'm looking to do ultimately is not just speaking some sort of standard English, but actually acquiring an accent. Now, I know this might not be the most popular choice amongst many people, but what I'm looking to achieve is a proper Scouse accent. I know that this has to come step by step. First the heavy German accent needs to go, then I can work on my Scouse.

I've been looking all over the web for days now, to find some sort of online course, but there's just nothing that fits my expectations. Most are just videos or MP3 files, but I'll need some feedback from time to time, because I don't think I'll be able to judge for myself, even if I'm recording my practise sessions, if I'm getting any better.

Now, here's my idea: I think by simply speaking English a lot more than I do now I'll be able to improve my pronunciation. That, of course, would have to be with English people, so I get a feeling for their language.

Maybe some of you have any other ideas, tips or maybe you even now of some sort of course that would fit my needs? Maybe you're willing to be my training partner?

I'd love to hear from you with anything that could be of help!

Thanks in advance!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Out of curiosity, why do you want to speak with a Scouse accent? (Not a Scouser)

jeangrey

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Out of curiosity, why do you want to speak with a Scouse accent? (Not a Scouser)

I think the accent has always appealed to me, I just like the sound of it. Also, I'm massively in love with the city and it would be great to not sound like a foreigner whenever I'm there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't say for sure but I've got a feeling you're setting yourself a really hard task. Most Scousers can tell when someone is "putting on" a Liverpudlian accent and wasn't actually born there, even if that person is a native English speaker who is pretty good at other accents. If you ever succeed in fooling a true Scouser, do let us know!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you look at language exchanges, you might be able to find a Scouser willing to do it, but it will be, as Emsr2d2 says, tough to pull off well. Good luck. :up:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First off, I have no idea what a "Scouser" is.

Second, you should probably aim for sounding as neutral as the news people on TV. Attain neutrality first, then try to "pass" as a particular dialect.

(But the best you should in reality hope for is minimizing your native accent.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A Scouser is a native of Liverpool, who speaks with the Scouse accent, specific to the county of Merseyside but very particularly the city of Liverpool. I have seen Scouse described as a dialect but, although it no doubt has various words and phrases that aren't used anywhere else, I view it as an accent. Depending on the severity of the accent, it can be quite difficult to understand even for other native English speakers. I don't have much problem with it but several of my relatives (by marriage) are from Liverpool so I grew up with it.

For a bit of fun, try THIS video but, before it starts, put your hand over the bottom of the viewing screen to cover the subtitles, or hit Play and then turn your back. See how much of it you can understand.

For some more comprehensible Scouse (and a quite interesting mini-documentary), click HERE.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
First off, I have no idea what a "Scouser" is.

Anyone from Liverpool is a Liverpudlian, but a Scouser is one that uses the local dialect.

Peedeebee

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I come from Cheshire, which is across the River Mersey from Liverpool. I have just listened to emsr2d2's clip of the footballer. Yes- I found it really hard to follow, but I recognise the general feel of all the pronunciation.
My father was from Liverpool; my mother from Cheshire, and I speak more like my mother than my father. But many people in Cheshire, North Wales, Lancashire, and the North West of England have a similar accent to a greater or lesser extent.

I think that if you spoke in Liverpool like the Queen, you would be thought of as a visitor. London based news readers would be noticeable as non-locals.
If I can mention some well- known personalities in Britain; perhaps you could listen to news clips from Paul McCartney/ Wayne Rooney/ Ringo Starr/ Cilla Black/ John Bishop/ ... you will hear some who left Liverpool many years ago but whose accent can still be detected, some whose accent is still very strong.
I have lived in Yorkshire for 40 years but a local Scouser could still tell that I come from that area.
If, as another member says, you have a neutral accent I don't think you would sound "like a foreigner", even in Liverpool.
I completely agree with emsr2d2's advice!

jeangrey

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've been quite busy at work lately.

Thanks to all of you for your replies - I really appreciate it!

I understand that it's quite a task to not just learn another language, but a particular accent as well. I'm aware that I'll probably never be able to fully pass as a Scouser. As I've already written in my original post, I know that I'll have to get rid of my German accent before I can go the next step. I don't expect this to be a matter of days or weeks - I know it'll take me years and years of constant practise to come even close to a Scouse accent.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As a late addition to this thread, I'd like to say that learning to speak Scouse cannot in any sense be described as eliminating one's accent.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.