Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hi please help me, im in elementary level i started to learn english by reading articles. i read the economist article yesterday but its really hard to understand even if i know every word meaning. here it is : "BARACK OBAMA is belatedly heeding his military advisers amid deteriorating security in Afghanistan. This was recently dramatised by the shocking, if short-lived, fall of Kunduz to the Taliban—the first major city they had taken since they were toppled by an American invasion in 2001" I did not understand what dramatised - beletadly heeding ? or deteriorating security ? and i cant understand relationship between military advisers amid deterorating security? - what does it mean? it mean that detarorating security is in military advisers ? and it unswerd my firs question about dramatising ? please help me to understand how to read sentenses like this, i even cant understand "This was recently - "THIS" is for belatedly heeding or for deteriorating secure ? Hope someone will explain me. BTW is it good idea to learn english by reading articles ?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. Please help me. I'm in elementary level. I started to learn English by reading articles. I read an article in The Economist [STRIKE]article[/STRIKE] yesterday but it's really hard to understand even [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] though I know every word's meaning.

Here it is : "BARACK OBAMA is belatedly heeding his military advisers amid deteriorating security in Afghanistan. This was recently dramatised by the shocking, if short-lived, fall of Kunduz to the Taliban—the first major city they had taken since they were toppled by an American invasion in 2001."

I did not understand what "dramatised", "beletadly heeding" or "deteriorating security" mean and I can't understand the relationship between military advisers amid deteriorating security. What does it mean? Does it mean that deteriorating security is in military advisers? and it unswerd my firs question about dramatising ? (I cannot understand this sentence at all.)

Please help me to understand how to read sentences like this. I[STRIKE]even[/STRIKE] can't even understand "This was recently". Does"THIS" [STRIKE]is for [/STRIKE] refer to "belatedly heeding" or for "deteriorating security"? I hope someone will explain it to me. [STRIKE]BTW[/STRIKE] By the way, is it a good idea to learn English by reading articles?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

First please note my corrections to your post, marked in red. It is important to follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Capitalise all proper nouns (English, Italy, Microsoft, Shakespeare etc.)
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

The main gist of the piece is that Barack Obama is listening to the advice of his military advisers, although the writer thinks that he has started listening to this advice later than he should (he should have started listening to them earlier). "Amid deteriorating security" means "at the same time that security is deteriorating in Afghanistan.

"This" refers to Obama's belatedly heeding the advice.

Reading articles is a good way to practise your comprehension. It should also help you to learn how English sentences are constructed - grammar, capitalisation, spacing and punctuation (as long as you read well-written articles).

Elementary1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Wow, Great explanation, now i understand, but there is still one confusing "This was recently dramatised by the shocking, if short-lived, fall of Kunduz to the Taliban" - is "if short-lived splitting this sentence ? - "his was recently dramatised by the shocking fall of Kunduz to the Taliban" - cant understanting what "If short-lived" means. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before I attempt to answer your question, please go back to post #2 and look at the corrections I made and to the list of rules I gave you for written English. In post #3, you failed to capitalise "I" and you omitted an apostrophe. Try to write your post again, correctly, for us.

Elementary1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Wow, Great explanation, now i understand, but there is still one confusing "This was recently dramatised by the shocking, if short-lived, fall of Kunduz to the Taliban" - is "if short-lived splitting this sentence ? - "his was recently dramatised by the shocking fall of Kunduz to the Taliban" - cant understanting what "If short-lived" means. :roll:

Sorry teacher, i think it will be correct :D

Wow, Great explanation, now I understand, but there is still one confusing "This was recently dramatised by the shoking, if short-lived, fall of Kunduz to the Taliban." - Is " If short-lived splitting this sentence ? - " This was recently dramatised by the shoking fall of Kunduz to the Taliban." - can't understanding what "If short-lived" means.

Elementary1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You are still making the same mistakes.
Sorry but im here couse i dont know english, If i had answers to my question i woud not posted here :) When to post I is also my qestion but in this thread i need answer to my other question and i have waited it since yesterday.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Until you make a better attempt to follow the rules of written English which ems gave you in post #2, you can expect no further help from the members of this forum.

Elementary1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Until you make a better attempt to follow the rules of written English which ems gave you in post #2, you can expect no further help from the members of this forum.

Well, It will make this forum uselles :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry but I'm here [STRIKE]couse[/STRIKE] because I don't know English. If I had answers to my question, I would not have posted here. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE] When to [STRIKE]post[/STRIKE] write "I" is also my question but in this thread I need an answer to my other question and I have waited for it since yesterday.

As you've already been told, you won't get much more help until you make more effort. I answered one of your questions in post #2 after I gave you the rules of written English, which you are stubbornly ignoring. If you consider that having your English corrected and improved by native speakers is useless, then you probably won't get much out of this forum.

I am interested in why you so desperately "need" an answer to your question. If you're reading for fun/pleasure, then there is no urgency. Do you need to understand the piece for some other reason?

Elementary1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
As you've already been told, you won't get much more help until you make more effort. I answered one of your questions in post #2 after I gave you the rules of written English, which you are stubbornly ignoring. If you consider that having your English corrected and improved by native speakers is useless, then you probably won't get much out of this forum.

I am interested in why you so desperately "need" an answer to your question. If you're reading for fun/pleasure, then there is no urgency. Do you need to understand the piece for some other reason?

I did not understand and its hurting my brain when i am not understanding something. but this forum does not for I dont get rule n1
I i would know " How to" why i should ask "How to" ? there is no logic. Sorry im leaving :p

I dont read for pleassure, i read for learn english and sentences like this - like splitted sentences and etc but if you dont teach me that ok

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're right.

This thread has run its course.