Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
PM me if you like, but I can't make it here (the senior center) every day. If you want to see what I do you can look at my posts. (I am an obsessive-compulsive proofreader. Do you know what that is?)
:)

No, I don't know exactly :cry:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, emsr2d2 is an editor, and she has actually gotten paid to do it. In other words, wouldn't you want to first see if I am any good?

mqcaah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
English is a flexible language up to a point but it does have rules, as anyone learning it in a scholastic environment will soon discover. Playing fast and loose with those rules will find them failing exams. One of the primary aims of this site is to help students of English use the language correctly. If you don't like it, please feel free to go elsewhere.

Thank you, now I get why are you so strict and that is enough. I wish you all the best to keep giving your time for those who want to learn English.

mqcaah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Well, emsr2d2 is an editor, and she has actually gotten paid to do it. In other words, wouldn't you want to first see if I am any good?

Of course I want to see if you are good or not, that's why I wanna talk to you privately.

What do you mean by that you need to develop better habits?:-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course I want to see if you are good or not, that's why I [STRIKE]wanna[/STRIKE] want to talk to you privately.

What do you mean by [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "you need to develop better habits"?:-?

Like Tarheel, I am an obsessive proofreader. I spot errors everywhere. When I see a sign or a menu which contains spelling errors or punctuation errors, I want to correct them. I don't pretend to write absolutely grammatical English at all times. I have been pulled up on this forum for things like comma splices but when that happens, I take note and I try to improve in future.

You're right that English can be a playful language but generally that applies to spoken English and things like poetry and song lyrics. The point of this forum, generally, is to help learners develop correct, grammatical English. Often, that is to help them to pass exams or to enhance their employment opportunities.

"You need to develop better habits" means that you need to learn to write correct English more often than you write incorrect English.

As far as I know, no-one here offers a free proofreading service. If you want to pay someone to proofread or edit your stories ready for publication, I suggest you find someone online.

mqcaah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Like Tarheel, I am an obsessive proofreader. I spot errors everywhere. When I see a sign or a menu which contains spelling errors or punctuation errors, I want to correct them. I don't pretend to write absolutely grammatical English at all times. I have been pulled up on this forum for things like comma splices but when that happens, I take note and I try to improve in future.

You're right that English can be a playful language but generally that applies to spoken English and things like poetry and song lyrics. The point of this forum, generally, is to help learners develop correct, grammatical English. Often, that is to help them to pass exams or to enhance their employment opportunities.

"You need to develop better habits" means that you need to learn to write correct English more often than you write incorrect English.

As far as I know, no-one here offers a free proofreading service. If you want to pay someone to proofread or edit your stories ready for publication, I suggest you find someone online.

Thank you for finally replying, I appreciate it.

mqcaah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Id ofer two hlep. bu yuo mite nt wont ne,

"I would offer to hep. but you might not want me". Is that what are you trying to say?:roll:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
emsr2d2 explained things quite well. (Maybe I should stick to answering one question at a time, because when I tried answering three in one post the post disappeared. :-( )

It's been a week since I've been here on UE, and a week is too long.
:-|

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know this might seem rather obvious, but if you spell a word differently you can easily wind up with a word that was not intended. Also, if you are going to publish a book (presumably to be read by people) how can you not want to get it right? As for getting paid to edit stuff, I wouldn't mind trying that.

That sure does look familiar to me.

(This thread has 33 responses. Incredible!)

Dena11

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
yes, i wrote them myself, they are for kids. i can't post them here because they are too long.
one story is ten pages.
Do you understand me?

Hi Mqcaah, I would be happy to help you with your stories. Please contact me privately through the forum.

Best,

Dena

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The stories are not too long. Just post a few paragraphs at a time. Read some of Bassim's stories in the poetry and prose folder, and you will see how I helped him with them. (Those are some amazing stories.)

mqcaah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi Mqcaah, I would be happy to help you with your stories. Please contact me privately through the forum.

Best,

Dena

Thank you Dena, I will.

mqcaah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The stories are not too long. Just post a few paragraphs at a time. Read some of Bassim's stories in the poetry and prose folder, and you will see how I helped him with them. (Those are some amazing stories.)

OK, Tarheel
Would you paste the link of Bassim's stories here to look at them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bassim has a new story, and it is in the editing and writing topics folder. It's very good, but I gave him a few suggestions. There is more to the story. He only posts four or five paragraphs at a time. (BTW, I use Dictionary.com to find synonyms sometimes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.