• Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Understanding meaning of a sentence

Hello, I didn't understand something.
    I am reading this paragraph in BBC
    Israel-Palestinian violence: Israeli killed in Beersheba bus station attack

1. I know that the terrorist who killed is a Palestinian(Bedouin). So, why BBC are writing: Israeli killed and not was killed?
    2. What is the meaning grammatically if BBC would write: Israeli has been killed?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Understanding meaning of a sentence

In headlines and captions in newspapers, space is an important issue so words are sometimes omitted as long as the meaning is still clear.

An Israeli person has been killed in the Beersheba bus station attack.
    An Israeli person has been killed in the Beersheba bus station attack.

As you can see, the meaning remains but they have saved a lot of words/space.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Thank you so much now I understand.

I have another question: what is the difference between an Israeli was killed and an Israeli has been killed?
    What is the meaning and the difference between them.(This example helps me to understand the difference between present perfect and past simple).

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

There is no practical difference in meaning in your examples.
    (In the interests of fact and balance. "The attacker was shot dead. Police said he was an Israeli Arab. An Eritrean bystander, mistaken as an accomplice, was shot and beaten, and later died.")
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

I understand, so the terrorist is an Israeli too.

I have another question: what is the difference between an Israeli was killed and an Israeli has been killed?
    What is the meaning and the difference between them.(This example helps me to understand the difference between present perfect and past simple).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

With "A person has been killed in a terrorist attack" we know that it happened recently but we don't know exactly when. If we want to specify a date, time, etcetera, we use the simple past "A person was killed in a terrorist attack yesterday". We cannot say "A person has been killed in a terrorist attack yesterday".
    Does that answer your question?
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Yes. Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Captain:

You have already received the answers to your questions. I just wanted to add a few comments that might interest you.

Here is a headline from a Sunday newspaper: Ex-premier freed from detention.

In my opinion, that is short for "An ex-premier has been freed from detention."

As you know, the present perfect is often described as something that happened in the past and is still "touching the present."

Therefore, probably the ex-premier was released on Saturday.

The idea of a headline is to grab your attention. To connect something to the present is more interesting than talking about the "boring" past.

BUT look at the first sentence under the headline: "Former ... Prime Minister [his name] left home as a free man for the first time in 10 months after a ... court lifted the house arrest order it had imposed on him."

The writer decided that "left" was more appropriate than "has left," for s/he wanted to state a past action. (Maybe it happened at 10 a.m. on Saturday, for example.)

The headline writer, however, probably meant "has been freed" because s/he wanted to convey the idea that what happened on Saturday (?) was still "fresh" news to us readers on Sunday.

Source: Los Angeles Times,, October 18, 2015.
    Last edited by TheParser; 19-Oct-2015 at 12:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Captain:

You have already received the answers to your questions. I just wanted to add a few comments that might interest you.

Here is a headline from a Sunday newspaper: Ex-premier freed from detention.

In my opinion, that is short for "An ex-premier has been freed from detention."

As you know, the present perfect is often described as something that happened in the past and is still "touching the present."

Therefore, probably the ex-premier was released on Saturday.

The idea of a headline is to grab your attention. To connect something to the present is more interesting than talking about the "boring" past.

BUT look at the first sentence under the headline: "Former ... Prime Minister [his name] left home as a free man for the first time in 10 months after a ... court lifted the house arrest order it had imposed on him."

The writer decided that "left" was more appropriate than "has left," for s/he wanted to state a past action. (Maybe it happened at 10 a.m. on Saturday, for example.)

The headline writer, however, probably meant "has been freed" because s/he wanted to convey the idea that what happened on Saturday (?) was still "fresh" news to us readers on Sunday.

Source: Los Angeles Times,, October 18, 2015.
    That's wonderful, I am learning communication and English at the same time. Good for me.

Regard to this:
    "Former ... Prime Minister [his name] left home as a free man for the first time in 10 months after a ... court lifted the house arrest order it had imposed on him
    1) Can I assume that he used left and not has left because the same reason Bhaisahab wrote? Because he used time: the first time in 10 months (It's no possible to use present perfect when you are writing about specific time).

2)If the writer doesn't know the time exactly and he doesn't write it. So why to use present simple? present perfect its better because it lets you not to be specific(with time, just to say "it was happened, that's what we know for now"..
    Thanks.
    Last edited by captain1; 19-Oct-2015 at 13:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by captain1 View Post
    That's wonderful, I am learning communication and English at the same time. Good for me.

Regard to this:
    "Former ... Prime Minister [his name] left home as a free man for the first time in 10 months after a ... court lifted the house arrest order it had imposed on him
    1) Can I assume that he used left and not has left because the same reason Bhaisahab wrote? Because he used time: the first time in 10 months (It's no possible to use present perfect when you are writing about specific time).

2)If the writer doesn't know the time exactly and he doesn't write it. So why to use present simple? present perfect its better because it lets you not to be specific(with time, just to say "it was happened, that's what we know for now"..
    Thanks.
    Thanks for your like. Do you have any idea to my questions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast