Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear Teachers,

Could you please clarify if there are any circumstances when the following sentence could be considered grammatical and why (or why not)?
"If only a disagreement makes you be quit of me, we don't belong together".
This is how the person who wrote this sentence (as a translation from Russian) explains why he thinks it's absolutelly correct: (quote) "it makes you be quit of me" in this translation means "it makes you be in a better state for having removed my (troublesome or unwanted) person". In other words, what he was trying to say by this phrase was something like "if even after a tiny disagreement you stop treating me like your friend and start distancing yourself from me then we don't belong together". To me the whole "makes you be quit of me" thing looks very wrong but as I'm not a linguist I simply can't explain why I find it grammatically incorrect. Could you please help me on this one?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Makes you be quit of me" is something I have never heard.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means nothing to me either. I can only assume it should be "... makes you quit on me ..." or, possibly, "... make you quit me ...".

Augustine06

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Makes you be quit of me" is something I have never heard.

Thank you, MikeNewYork :) I've never came across anything like that either. I'm just wondering if there are any grammar rules explaining why it's not (or maybe it is) correct.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is no grammar rule I can think of. The phrase is simply not idiomatic English.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the construction 'make someone be + bare infinitive' is ungrammatical.

Augustine06

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think the construction 'make someone be + bare infinitive' is ungrammatical.

Hi Matthew :)
You see, according to the dictionaries "be quit of somebody/something" is an adjective. It's not an action, it's a state. For example one can say "I want to be quit of (someone or something)" meaning "I want to be free from...". But even then "makes you be quit of..." doesn't make any sense to me.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If 'quit' is an adjective, it should be 'make someone quit of somebody/something', i.e. 'be' should not be there.

'quit
adj
7. (foll by: of) free (from); released (from): he was quit of all responsibility for their safety.'── quoted from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quit

If the above definition is correct, I think 'make someone quit of someone else' means 'make someone free from someone else'.

Last edited:

Augustine06

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If 'quit' is an adjective, it should be 'make someone quit of somebody/something', i.e. 'be' should not be there.

'quit
adj
7. (foll by: of) free (from); released (from): he was quit of all responsibility for their safety.'── quoted from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quit

If the above definition is correct, I think 'make someone quit of someone else' means 'make someone free from someone else'.

Well, right. Then like emsr2d2 wrote above, it should be "makes you quit on me". But again, this would be an action and this would be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.