• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Thumbs down present continuous and future simple

Hello, I would like to ask two questions.
    1. When do I use present continuous? my problem is in understanding: what is a continuous action? I remember I read somewhere that if its not a continuous action you have to use present simple. Can you explain that?
    2. Regard to the known sentence : Don't call me, I call you. It doesn't make sense to me. Why is their no use of the future tense?
    For me the sentence needs to be: "don't call me, I will call you".

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: present continuous and future simple

1. Let's try with an the verb to sit. If you want to rest your legs, you bend your legs and lower yourself onto some horizontal surface: you sit (simple present). After you come to a rest, as long as you remain in that position and do not reverse the process, you are sitting (present continuous).

2. Perhaps you heard someone saying that and misheard or they said it wrong. You are correct: "Don't call me, I will call you".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

The continuous progressive aspect is used for for an event or process that is seen to have (limited) duration. it does not necessarily have to be unbroken. Here are some examples.

I am typing this post on my new laptop.
    It so happens that the action of typing is happening at the moment of speaking, but the underlying idea is that the action has duration and that that duration is limited - it started before the moment of speaking and ends after that moment.

Luke is helping his sister decorate her new flat this week.
    The action of helping her decorate is not necessarily going on at the moment of speaking, but is clearly limited in duration. The daily assistance is limited to the duration of this week.

Emma is always losing her keys. Here, the duration is stressed - this action happens repeatedly. When the continuous/progressive action is used in this way, there may be a suggestion of the speaker's annoyance, but other emotions can also be suggested: My new boyfriend is wonderful. He's always bringing me flowers.

I'll have to go now. Someone's knocking at the door
    . Each individual knock is of very short duration indeed. However, the continuous/progressive action, by implying duration, suggests repetition ofthe action.

John is taking Lindsay to see the latest Bond film tomorrow. John has made an arrangement to take Lindsay to the cinema. This arrangement started before the moment of speaking and ends when they arrive at the cinema.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by captain1 View Post
    2. Regard to the known sentence : Don't call me, I call you. It doesn't make sense to me. Why is their no use of the future tense?
    The simple present could refer to the future, as in 'Don't ignore it when I call you', but not in your sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    "Don't call me, I will call you".
    Is it an acceptable comma splice?
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    1. Let's try with an the verb to sit. If you want to rest your legs, you bend your legs and lower yourself onto some horizontal surface: you sit (simple present). After you come to a rest, as long as you remain in that position and do not reverse the process, you are sitting (present continuous).

2. Perhaps you heard someone saying that and misheard or they said it wrong. You are correct: "Don't call me, I will call you".
    So, when I am sitting and staying in sitting position, is it become "sitting?"
    And when I am not sitting now.. Like to give an instruction to people "how to rest" its just "sit"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    The simple present could refer to the future, as in 'Don't ignore it when I call you', but not in your sentence.

Is it an acceptable comma splice?
    In Hebrew yes. You have a stop in talking. If its not correct in English, please tell me why

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    The continuous progressive aspect is used for for an event or process that is seen to have (limited) duration. it does not necessarily have to be unbroken. Here are some examples.

I am typing this post on my new laptop.
    It so happens that the action of typing is happening at the moment of speaking, but the underlying idea is that the action has duration and that that duration is limited - it started before the moment of speaking and ends after that moment.

Luke is helping his sister decorate her new flat this week.
    The action of helping her decorate is not necessarily going on at the moment of speaking, but is clearly limited in duration. The daily assistance is limited to the duration of this week.

Emma is always losing her keys. Here, the duration is stressed - this action happens repeatedly. When the continuous/progressive action is used in this way, there may be a suggestion of the speaker's annoyance, but other emotions can also be suggested: My new boyfriend is wonderful. He's always bringing me flowers.

. Each individual knock is of very short duration indeed. However, the continuous/progressive action, by implying duration, suggests repetition ofthe action.

John is taking Lindsay to see the latest Bond film tomorrow. John has made an arrangement to take Lindsay to the cinema. This arrangement started before the moment of speaking and ends when they arrive at the cinema.

Regard to these:
    Emma is always losing her keys.So, is it like any habit? he could use present simple? but s/he just wants to stress a feeling(discomfort from Emma who is losing her keys?).

. Can you please explain me this sentence again? (I don't understand, if present progressive suggests a repetition, it creates for me a conflict, because I understand that just present simple can use when you talk about a repetition.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

So, when I am sitting and staying in sitting position, is it become "sitting?"
    When you are staying in a chair, you are sitting.

And when I am not sitting now.. Like to give an instruction to people "how to rest" its just "sit"?
    'Sit down, please'.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Emma is always losing her keys. So, is it like any habit? he could use present simple? but s/he just wants to stress a feeling(discomfort from Emma who is losing her keys?).

The present simple with 'always' is a neutral statement of fact of something that always (all the time) happens. This open, unlimited, meaning of 'always' contrasts with the implications of limited duration of the progressive aspect. It is possibly this contrast that gives rise to the overtones of annoyance, pleasure, etc.

I'll have to go now. Someone's knocking at the door. Can you please explain me this sentence again? (I don't understand, if present progressive suggests a repetition, it creates for me a conflict, because I understand that just present simple can use when you talk about a repetition.
    This idea of repetition conveyed by the progressive form applies only to verbs denoting actions of extremely short duration, knock, tap, hop, sneeze, etc. As the progressive aspect implies duration, its use with such momentary activities suggests repetition.