Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 106
    #21

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    I have rewrite the sentences. Please check below.

    These days, many people opt to buy new things, rather than use broken things after repairing them. Some people find repairing things complex, expensive and time-consuming. They often point out that they cannot even be sure the repaired items will be as effective. For those same reasons, I believe that it's better to buy new things than repair broken ones.

    Repairing broken things is often costly and time consuming. Nowadays, people lead busy lives. They spend long hours at work and have little free time left. Therefore, most would prefer to spend their free/leisure time with their family and friends. They do not want to spend that precious free time repairing broken objects when they can easily buy new ones often at a reasonable price. For Example, Bike is use by large number of people for travelling. If any part of bike gets broken, person have to spend long hours in workshops because majority of mechanics are not well trained and professional. This discouraged people to waste their valuable time in repairing and prefer to buy new piece of item.

    Additionally, even after extensive repairs, there are no guarantees that broken items will have the same effectiveness or efficiency as new ones. One reason is that most people do not have professional or technical repair expertise. For instance, recently my cellphone's touch screen was malfunctioning. I had made several attempts to repair and reuse it, but they were all in vain, as every time the same problem reoccurred within every two weeks. That discouraged me to use that mobile phone, and only increased my desire to buy a new one.

    On the other hand, new things are more likely to be more efficient and reliable than refurbished ones, as the former are usually designed and developed according to the latest technologies and standards. This is not surprising as technology improves with the passing of time. For example, most modern mobile phones are equipped with state-of-the-art features such as Internet connectivity, GPS and various others useful applications. Thus, it is more attractive to buy a new phone with all its new features than repair an old one.

    To sum up, people prefer to buy new things instead of repairing broken ones because that way people can save time and need not worry about the effectiveness of repairs and because new items have the latest technology.

  2. teechar's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 9,198
    #22

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    Let's look at what you wrote.

    Quote Originally Posted by fahad_a11 View Post
    For Example, Bike is use by large number of people for travelling.
    That's irrelevant and is a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fahad_a11 View Post
    If any part of bike gets broken, person have to spend long hours in workshops because majority of mechanics are not well trained and professional.
    That's not true and is also irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by fahad_a11 View Post
    This discouraged people to waste their valuable time in repairing and prefer to buy new piece of item.
    That doesn't link with the preceding two sentences.

    As an example, you could write:

    For example, some people might try to fix their own bike when it breaks. However, that can be time consuming and difficult to do. Furthermore, getting the repairs done at a bike repair shop can be very expensive. Therefore, buying a new bike is often cheaper and better than repairing a broken one.

  3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 106
    #23

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    Again so many mistakes. I appreciate your patience while teaching a dull student like me.

  4. teechar's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 9,198
    #24

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    Quote Originally Posted by fahad_a11 View Post
    I appreciate your patience while teaching a dull student like me.
    On the contrary. I do not think you're dull at all. In fact, I see that you're a dedicated and enthusiastic learner.
    I just think that you should pay more attention to writing simpler and clearer sentences. Try to rein in your urge to write complex text. You need to focus on tightening your basic grammar skills first.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 31-Oct-2015 at 00:48. Reason: Fixed typo (changed "reign" to "rein")

  5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 106
    #25

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    Can you suggest me, how to improve grammar skills?

    I mean any recommended book or website?

  6. teechar's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 9,198
    #26

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    Quote Originally Posted by fahad_a11 View Post
    Can you suggest me, how to improve grammar skills?

    I mean any
    recommended some books or websites for me to improve my grammar skills?
    Have you had a look at the great resources on this website?

    Have a look at these to start with:

    https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/

    https://www.usingenglish.com/resources/

    As for books, I would recommend Raymond Murphy's Grammar in Use series.

  7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 106
    #27

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    I will go through you's recommended resources. Thanks dear

  8. teechar's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 9,198
    #28

    Re: Please point out errors. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when

    Quote Originally Posted by fahad_a11 View Post
    I will go through your recommended resources. Thanks teechar. dear
    You're welcome fahad_a11. Note that the use of "thanks dear" is not appropriate for this context. It presupposes a certain level of personal familiarity.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •