Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear Teachers,

Are there any circumstances when one can say, for example: "I worked 3 years as a bartender" or "I worked as a bartender 3 years"? The person I often have arguments over English grammar with insists that it's correct and that there is a rule for that in English grammar books (such as Collins Cobuild English Usage). Only he says that this rule can be found in "non-pocket" editions (whatever it means when it comes to grammar books).
So my question is: does the rule really exist or it's simply ungrammatical to say "I worked 3/5/10 years" instead of "I worked for 3/5/10 years"?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I can't think of any circumstances in which it would be correct. You will hear it used, however, I would advise any student against using it in a classroom or exam situation.

Augustine06

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't think of any circumstances in which it would be correct. You will hear it used, however, I would advise any student against using it in a classroom or exam situation.

Oh thank you so much, bhaisahab! :)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Augustine06, clicking on the 'Thank' button can obviate the need for a new post saying 'Thank you'; such is one of the many unwritten rules on this forum.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I write 'many unwritten rules' because last year when I asked about unwritten rules, 5jj, a former moderator, told me that there were 'hundreds' in this post.

Does 'hundreds' count as 'many'?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Teachers,

Are there any circumstances when one can say, for example: "I worked 3 years as a bartender" or "I worked as a bartender 3 years"?

While I agree with Bhai, that that construction is not grammatical, it is used, at least in AmE. It could be looked at as ellipsis of the word "for".

Augustine06

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
While I agree with Bhai, that that construction is not grammatical, it is used, at least in AmE. It could be looked at as ellipsis of the word "for".

Thank you, MikeNewYork :) I know it is used. I just wanted to know whether there was a rule for that or not. Because the guy I'm having this argument with still insists that it's absolutely grammatical :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Without "for", it is not grammatical in my opinion.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my experience, "I worked x years ..." is common and natural in everyday AmE. I've often used it myself. Nevertheless, I agree with bhai's original reply: ESL students should avoid it in academic contexts.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you, MikeNewYork. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE] I know it is used. I just wanted to know whether there was a rule for that or not, because the guy I'm having this argument with still insists that it's absolutely grammatical. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]
Don't use home-made emoticons to replace standard punctuation marks. If you want to insert a smiley, click on :-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.