Which of the following, if true, would most weaken Brown‟s conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I cannot understand the right answer of the following question. Would you please help me? Thanks a lot.

Reading:
Although scientists observe that an organism‟s behavior falls into rhythmic patterns, they disagree about how these patterns are affected when the organism is transported to a new environment. One experimenter, Brown, brought oysters from Connecticut waters to Illinois waters. She noted that the oysters initially opened their shells widest when it was high tide in Connecticut, but that after fourteen days their rhythms had adapted to the tide schedule in Illinois. Although she could not posit an unequivocal causal relationship between behavior and environmental change, Brown concluded that a change in tide schedule is one of several possible exogenous influences (those outside the organism) on the oysters‟ rhythms. Another experimenter, Hamner, however, discovered that hamsters from California maintain their original rhythms even at the South Pole. He concluded that endogenous influences (those inside the organism) seem to affect an organism‟s rhythmic behavior.

Question:
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken Brown‟s conclusion?
(A) The oyster gradually closed their shells after high tide in Illinois had passed.
(B) The oysters‟ behavioral rhythms maintained their adaptation to the tide schedule in Illinois throughout thirty days of observation.
(C) Sixteen days after they were moved to Illinois, the oysters opened their shells widest when it was high tide in Connecticut.
(D) A scientist who brought Maryland oysters to Maine found that the oysters opened their shells widest when it was high tide in Maine.
(E) In an experiment similar to Brown‟s, a scientist was able to establish a clear causal relationship between environmental change and behavioral rhythms.

Answer:
The right answer is C but I checked E and do not know why it is wrong?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
(C) is the correct answer. If (E) were true it would strengthen her conclusion.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
About E: I think I mis-distinguish "casual" instead of "causal" and it cause to understand its meaning negatively!! Maybe I should go to a optometrist :) Thanks.

About C: Why can it weaken Brown‟s conclusion? Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Because it would mean that the oysters hadn't changed their habits to adapt to the new environment. Whereas, in fact, they had changed after 14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.