Results 1 to 2 of 2
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Jordan
      • Current Location:
      • Jordan

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 13

    multi words seperated by a -

    some times I encounter a group of words ( mostly two ) seperated by a (-)
    that acts as a single word such as in the following examples:

    "computer-based systems."
    "the .NET provides strict type-safety"
    "a five-years-old child"

    for instance, what does type-safety mean? is it a noun? and how does it differ from "type safety" (without the - ).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,888

    Re: multi words seperated by a -

    type-safety: the effect of the hyphen is to join the two together. It is a noun. The meaning isn't that clear to me, but I assume that it doesn't mean 'kind/sort', but refers to typing, so it must protect the text in some way.

Similar Threads

  1. Alphabetizing Words
    By ohiomanager in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2006, 12:26
  2. Nonsense words and stuff like that - what words are potentially English?
    By Phonetics_victim in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-Jul-2005, 10:45
  3. 1000 most important words
    By Joe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2004, 07:23
  4. Stingy with words + giveway
    By xanana in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2004, 15:05
  5. Confusing Words or Confused Words
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2003, 23:10


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts