Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am applying for a PhD and would like someone to look for any mistakes or inconsistency in my SOP. Thank you for your help.

SOP

Doing research independently requires a lot of passion, integrity and sacrifice. As I understand, PhD is not just a continuation of master studies but also a continuation of interest in the subject to explore and systematically work to achieve the aim with same dedication and fervour. With my devoutness, I am expressing my interest for full-time PhD position aimed at “High resolution CMOS radiation tolerant Time-to-Digital converters” at ** which is announced under the reference number ** on website **.
My research interest lies in the field of Microelectronics. Being precise, analogue/digital design and synthesis using CMOS and novel technologies is what interest me the most. I intend to dedicate myself to the field of research and giving back the knowledge gained to the teaching profession. A PhD in the same field would be a crucial step towards my goal.
In 2012, I graduated from ** in Bachelor of Technology with a four-year degree in Electronics and Telecommunication. Through the course of my undergraduate degree, my interest in CMOS Design grew with subject like Basic Electronics, Logic Circuit Design, Digital Logic Design and Electronic Circuit Analysis, which at the start of 4th year made me choose my optional subject, VLSI Design and technology. Fundamentals related to CMOS physics, fabrication and design technique where a part of this module, which convinced me that I have only touched upon the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
In 2014, I completed Master of Science from ** in **. During my masters, it became clear to me that continued advancement in CMOS integrated circuit technology has become increasingly difficult due to a trade-off between performance and energy efficiency. Thus, different technologies like NEM relay is being investigated for digital circuit applications because of their robustness against temperature variations and radiation, unlike CMOS devices. I willingly opted my dissertation to be “**” because this gave me a remarkable opportunity to learn new technology (NEM relays) which could open a new category of digital ICs and was predominantly involved to study the new technology.

Aim of this project was to build an adder and multiplier architecture which has already been implemented in CMOS technology and selecting the right architecture which can be implemented in NEM relay technology. The NEM relay simulation model was developed at University of Bristol using VHDL-AMS for the implementation of a NEM processor. The arithmetic architectures were used to quantify critical metrics such as latency, energy consumption and area. NEM relay being a completely different technology made me read many research papers based on adder and multiplier architectures using CMOS and MEM(Microelectromechanical) relays. This gave me a lot of insight on the challenges faced in current CMOS technology when reducing the feature sizes and device’s radiation limitation. Also, working under the guidance of my supervisor, Dr. ** and two of his PhD students helped me clear many of the problems faced during nanometre CMOS designs and presenting advantages of NEM relay over CMOS. In addition to the proposed dissertation, I also compared the critical metrics of arithmetic architecture designed using CMOS and NEM technology. To contribute a little in this field of NEM relays, a completely novel architecture of half and full adder is developed by me using NEM relay technology.

Recently a lot of research has undergone in mixed-signal systems due to the scaling difficulties of analogue and mixed-signal circuits based on signal representation in the voltage domain. One such component of a mixed-signal system is a High Performance Time-to-Digital converter (HPTDC). TDC, most commonly used in digital Phase locked loop (PLL), has also been used in nuclear systems and high-energy physics for more than 2 decades’ because of its use as Time of Flight (TOF) detector. The main concern during research on HPTDC is to reduce the resolution of TDC and the radiation hardening (radhard) of the ICs because of the use in field of particles. I find this particular PhD topic an appropriate fit as I have gained valuable understanding on subjects like Analogue Integrated Circuits, Integrated Circuit Electronics and VLSI Design from master’s programme, which is implied in my dissertation. Along with analogue design, I have profound knowledge in digital systems and the capacity to integrate both these discipline. My studies in advanced microelectronics not only provide me strong knowledge and research experience, but also its usage in vast number of applications.

After going through the ** department’s website and browsing through the vast topics of seminars provided, I believe ** can provide me the perfect environment and teaching to achieve my research and future goals. Doing a PhD at ** would definitely help me on gaining hands-on experience and specialization in the aforementioned field. Also, collaboration between ** and various research centres such as ** and ** will pave the way to interdisciplinary research’s. Furthermore, I would get the privilege to work in conjunction with world renowned researchers and experts.

I am an ambitious student and appreciate discipline in life. It has been a great experience so far and I would like to take it further with a PhD. With my good academic research and dissertation score and also with my sheer determination, I would be able to propel in my research topic. It is said “Chance can allow you to accomplish a goal every once in a while, but consistent achievement happens only if you love what you are doing”.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am applying for a PhD and would like someone to look for any mistakes or inconsistency in my SOP.

You are not applying for a PhD. You are applying for entry into the PhD program.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Doing research independently requires a lot of passion, integrity and sacrifice.

I would think that more than anything else what would be required would be a willingness to do the necessary work.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I understand it, the PhD program is not just a continuation of the master's program studies but also a continuation of interest in the subject to explore and systematically work to achieve the aim with the same dedication and fervour. With my dedication, I am expressing my interest for full-time PhD position aimed at “High resolution CMOS radiation tolerant Time-to-Digital converters” at ** which is announced under the reference number ** on website **.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
SOP = standard operating procedure; statement of purpose

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My research interest lies in the field of microelectronics.

The word "microelectronics" is not, I think, a proper noun.

Please space between paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.