English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Puerto Rico
Current Location
Italy
:-D Good morning everyone,

My name's Emma and I've been teaching here in Italy for about 4 years now. My lessons have been mostly directed to Adult individuals or small groups in companies (so slightly more on the Business-side). I was offered an evening course by another private school (the second one I'll be working for), and I am drawing a blank for the first time! Here's the issue:

It's a 60-hour Pre-Intermediate English course which will meet once per week (from 7 to 10 PM) with 14 students all around the 30-35 age range. This is a general English class... now my problem is that, the school "head" told me to stick to the book (Grammar Files) as much as possible, avoiding at all costs any video/audio clips, extra worksheets and reducing student-interaction to a bare minimum. Their technique is "blackboard, teacher and student". I am a very dynamic teacher and love making them role-play and do mini activities to remember vocabulary and such, but I am stuck here and I don't know what to do! Plus, I need to structure the first lesson on my own, bearing in mind all of these "rules". What can I do?! Have you ever stumbled upon this situation? Any ideas for a possible introductory 3-hour lesson?

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of: First hour (homework check, revision), second hour (new vocab/grammar from book), third hour (light activity interaction...but with what if I can't use extra activities!).

I would hate it if the students got bored or hated the class... I mean 3 hours! :shock:

Thank you all in advance for any help!

eng87

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Puerto Rico
Current Location
Italy
Thank you for your feedback, P.! You are right, I did accept... I was told beforehand though (I didn't mention this), that we could add things and modify it - but not too much. Then I was completely told not to use anything at all. I need the extra money, but I was afraid of ruining my "image" as a boring teacher. Either way! Thanks and I will look into the TB!

Status
Not open for further replies.