Characteristics of (early) Received Pronunciation (Videoanalysis), Changes in RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody_Pond

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
for school I am supposed to analyse how received pronunciation changed over the years with the help of the following video.
Then I need to compare it to todays received pronunciation found for example on the BBC News.
I have read a few books on the subject, like Gimson, but I just can not hear any specific characteristics of received pronunciation.
The only thing I get is the very present r sound in for example ”hear”.
Maybe somebody could tell me what changes happened to RP over the years, or just what sounds are very typical.

Thank you very much in advance!

here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU

Best wishes,
Melody

Melody_Pond

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your response. I hope to get an answer there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Received pronunciation is less marked in the UK nowadays. It still avoids regional features, but things like the length of vowels has shrunk, and the speech is more connected, less deliberate, with more blurring and joining the words. I hear more traditional received pronunciation on things like Channel News Asia, the Singaporean news channel, than I do on the BBC, which has far more regional accents than it used to. RP used to sound posh, but now it sounds more non-regional to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.