Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
I don't understand what "credit" could mean as written on a sign in a cafe. In our country I didn't see something like that. It is from BBC Learning English page.

...Go into a pub and there's a message from the manager: "Please do not ask for credit as refusal often offends"....

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Credit. As in "let me drink now and I'll pay you later."

GoldLight

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
This possibility I wouldn't thought that it could be the meaning.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are familiar with "credit cards," right?

Before they became common, as bank-based credit for general use, it was customary for different stores and such to offer their own credit to customers.

A department store or gasoline station would provide a charge card for their qualified customers. Balances were usually expected to be paid off every month.

Bars or pubs did not usually offer such a thing. Have money or get no drink/food.

GoldLight

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you for the explanation, SoothingDave.
I got the meaning.
It is the same here where I live. If I go in a restaurant, I have to have money. I wouldn't go there without money. A little confusing is the word "credit" for me, because when there began to be used "credit cards", I could used it only if I had some money in a bank that gave me this card. It wasn't possible to buy and to go in minus. Credit is for me a certain amount of money that I have, e.g. "charged" my internet or mobile phone credit.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Technically, if you are paying in advance and any charges/spending subtract from your account, then that is a debit card.

A credit card is for a "minus" balance, as you say.

Peedeebee

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Exactly so in BrE too.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for the explanation, SoothingDave.
I get the meaning.
It is the same here where I live. If I go to a restaurant, I have to have money. I wouldn't go there without money. A little confusing is the word "credit" for me, because when there began to be used "credit cards", I could used it only if I had some money in a bank that gave me this card. It wasn't possible to buy and to go in minus. Credit is for me a certain amount of money that I have, e.g. "charged" my internet or mobile phone credit.

Say:

When credit cards began to be used I could use one only if I had money in the back to cover the charge to my account.

As SoothingDave pointed out, those are actually debit cards. With a credit card the bank loans you money that you have to pay back.

GoldLight

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you for correcting me, Tarheel. I supposed that this long sentence wasn't good. :) I still have a problem with word order.
As for "credit" and "debit", it is clear to me, and understand. I have had to "relearn" the meaning of "credit", because we called those first cards for ATM colloquially as "credit cards", as I mentioned it in my previous post.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Debit cards are a more recent invention.

Status
Not open for further replies.