1. Unregistered111

the word quack or ducks

someone used the word "ducks", and then "quack" during a conversion. I did not understand what they meant. (i guessed the words must have meanings other than the bird).
    thanks!

Re: the word quack or ducks

What was the sentence?

A dog says, Bow-wow
    A cat says, Meow
    A duck says, Quack-quack

during our conversation, someone sent me an IM saying "you are not very demanding", followed by another message "ducks" and "quack"

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered111
    someone used the word "ducks", and then "quack" during a conversion. I did not understand what they meant. (i guessed the words must have meanings other than the bird).
    thanks!
    during an IM conversation, someone sent me a message saying "you are not very demanding", followed by another message "ducks" and "quack"

Well, it could have been a joke.

The verb "to duck" means to crouch or quickly bow the head to avoid something. For example, if someone moves to punch you in the face, you might duck so that you don't get hit.

In Internet Relay Chat, the command /me is used to describe an action. For example, if I typed /me ducks, it would be displayed as:

* rewboss ducks

...meaning that rewboss ducks to avoid being hit by something. I might type this if I had just said something mildly offensive as a joke -- I am saying that I am expecting you to hit me (although in reality it was actually a joke).

Instant messaging doesn't use IRC commands like this; instead, to describe an action, you sometimes just type the 3rd-person singular form of the verb. That is then displayed something like this:

[rewboss] ducks

...and you are supposed to understand that as "rewboss ducks".

But the noun "duck" of course refers to the water-bird, and the sound it makes is "quack". This is a very old joke, very often used in slapstick comedy: one man sees a danger, shouts "Duck!" as a warning, the other person misunderstands, looks around, says "Where's the duck?" and is hit in the face by a custard pie.

Your friend could have been referring to that joke. He says "ducks" to mean that he is ducking because he said something a little offensive (but he meant it as a joke), and then adds "quack" to suggest a flock of ducks.

That makes sense. Thanks a lot for the replying to my post!