• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Needn't + have + participle / don't need to

Hi,

I have doubts

In the grammar reference is written: we use needn't + have + participle to express that someone have done something, but that was unnecessary.
    And we use don't need to when we express that something unnecessary was done, without saying by whom.

So, from the next sentence: "Someone had already called the police so it wasn't necessary for you to call them." And I have to put the word "NEED" + two to five words including "NEED" in this sentence: " Someone had already called the police so you .................. them."

My sentence is: " Someone had already called the police so you NEEDN'T HAVE CALLED them."

And my doubt is how can I express the past tense with the form needn't + have + participle to make the agreement between each clause of the sentence?

Denis.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Needn't + have + participle / don't need to

In the grammar reference is written: we use needn't + have + participle to express that someone have done something, but that was unnecessary.
    And we use don't need to when we express that something unnecessary was done, without saying by whom.
    That is not correct. 'X needn't have done it' tells us that there was no necessity for X to do it, but that they did it. 'X didn't need to do it' tells us simply that there was no necessity for X to do it; only context can tell us whether they actually did it.

So, from the next sentence: "Someone had already called the police so it wasn't necessary for you to call them." And I have to put the word "NEED" + two to five words including "NEED" in this sentence: " Someone had already called the police so you .................. them."

My sentence is: " Someone had already called the police so you NEEDN'T HAVE CALLED them."
    That's fine as it is. '... you didn't need to call them' is also possible.