Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello, I have a question: what is the meaning of the Line that is highlighted?

Tuwim’s feelings about his Jewishness were ambivalent and assumed a variety of forms. In a 1924 interview, the poet told Nasz Przegląd (no. 6): “I am a Polonized Jew, that is, a Jew-Pole, and I don’t care what people say about it. I was raised in Polish culture; instinctively, guided by a sincere impulse, I would say subconsciously, I have become attached with all my soul to Polishness.” He added that assimilation was the only logical solution to the Jewish question in Poland but the antisemitism poisoning Polish society caused him not to believe in it.

Does the meaning is that the solution(assimilation) that Julian Tuwim thought to be the only solution for the Jewish question was denied by him because Tuwim believed that the poisoning due to the Anti-Semitism didn't allow to solve the question?

I have a problem in understanding the sentence, because I think that there is a missing word(between antisemitism and Polish), does it need to be: But the anti-Semitism that was poisoning the Polish society caused him not to believe in it? It looks like there is no any verb.

Thank you.

Last edited:

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
1. Do I understand the sentence correctly?(the meaning not the grammar)
2. So, can I omit the word "was" and than I get the same effect of was+ing? Do they have the same meanings?
In fact, is this the tense of progressive here?
Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. He thought that assimilation was the only answer but didn't believe it was possible because of the anti-semitism in Polish society.
2. No, you can't omit "was" unless you omit "that" as well, as in the original. No, it is not progressive. As Piscean has already told you "poisoning" is the present participle form of the verb.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Sorry for writing the question again(about what is the "ing" here).
I had never heard about it before.

Where can I find an article about this principle?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Type present participle into your favourite search engine.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I have a question: Why not to use "The Polish society"?

Look about it :
Omission of Articles

Some common types of nouns that don't take an article are:

• Names of languages and nationalities: Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian (unless you are referring to the population of the nation: "The Spanish are known for their warm hospitality.")

The Polish society its the same example like here, isn't it?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
  • Some common types of nouns that don't take an article are:

Names of languages and nationalities [omission: when used as nouns that refer to the people as a whole]: Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian (unless you are referring to the population of the nation: "The Spanish are known for their warm hospitality.")
These aren't right:

• [STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] Spanish people enjoy music.
  • In the airport queue, [^ the] Spanish were asked to wait.

b

PS In fact, 'Spanish' can be a bit tricky, as - unusually* in English - there is a noun meaning 'Spanish person', though it's not widely used now - because, historically, it was an insult (marked with the -ard suffix used in words sucx as b*stard, drunkard, dullard... (though by no means all -ard words are like this: pollard, custard, bollard... etc). So 'The Spanish are friendly' means the same as 'Spaniards are friendly'.

*And I don't buy 'Brit' as a counter-example. In fact, I think that may have a similar history as a political insult (or, if not insulting, at least depreciative). I first heard it in the mouths of Irish Republicans, speaking in Northern Ireland at the height of The Troubles.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, it isn't the same. We say: Polish society: British society; Israeli society etcetera.
But, we say: The British Society for the Advancement of Human Rights, for example.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thank you. So can I use "The Polish society"? I saw an explanation about using "the":
Talking about unique things - Some things in the world are unique, and we use "the":
The sun
The earth
The moon

The Polish society isn't unique? I am saying it because there is no another Polish society. Just one. There are no two Israeli societies, just the people in Israel is called "Israeli society".

By the way, What is the difference between society and people? They have the same idea of being unique.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If there was an association called 'The Polish Society' (one of many such societies), and you meant that, you could write 'the Polish Society'. But if you mean Polish people in general, it's 'Polish society'.

Don't over-apply these 'rules'. It says 'Some things'; the 'rule' you gave in #8 also used 'Some'.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
derstanding the sentence, because I think that there is a missing word(between antisemitism and Polish), does it need to be: But the anti-Semitism that was poisoning the Polish society caused him not to believe in it? It looks like there is no any verb.

Not necessarily- he believed in anti-Semitism, but felt that he couldn't believe in it any more because it was so prevalent in Polish society.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Can someone pleases write me this in another sentence?
One might even say that Tuwim was the last poet to achieve wide popularity since the poetry of the post-war years.

Is the meaning that Tuwim after the war was the last to get "popularity with consensus"?

And what is the meaning of last here, "The only poet?"

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think a number of poets achieved wide popularity and Tuwim was the last one of them.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
There is no possible to say that the meaning of last is "the only"?
The full sentence is:
One might even say that Tuwim was the last poet to achieve wide popularity since the poetry of the post-war years, with the exception of Konstanty's poems, has been too esoteric to appeal to the general public.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No "last" cannot mean "only".

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
So, what do you think this sentence says?(with the full context)
And I have another question: By this sentence his popularity was created after the war?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think his popularity was achieved before the war because the poetry of the post-war years has not been appealing to the general public.

captain1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello, I have another question, this Is the last question about Tuwim and than I will lock the thread.
What is the meaning here of stature?
As an émigré he was the first Pole of stature on the North American continent to declare his support of the Soviet Union.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.