Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please have a look at the following paragraph. I would appreciate it if you could provide comments and suggestions to help me improve my essay writing skills.

Getting bad grades makes the student emotionally unstable and frustrates their learning. Those students who get low grades may think that their intelligence is inferior to other students’, developing a great inferiority complex and lack confidence. Their stress and fear of failing test lead to confusion and low-esteem. In very few extreme cases, there were even news reporting a tragedy that a student committed suicide in dorms owing to getting low grades in exams.

In conclusion, students need encouragement and positive reinforcement to thrive, and education should be more inspirational and diversified. With above explanations, grades are not only potentially harmful to learning, but plain useless and unreliable. To minimize the negative effects, teachers need to actively give their students real feedback that report grades or exam scores do not provide.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are you going to submit this short essay to your teacher/tutor for grading or marking?

contiluo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
This short essay is not going to be submitted for grading. In fact, it is one of the TOEFL writing topics which I choose for self-training. I'm planning to sit for TOEFL this December, so I have to practice to be adept at essay writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.