• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Furthermore vs. moreover

Hi. Is there any difference in meaning between "Moreover,..." and "Furthermore,..." placed at the beginning of the sentence?

Nyggus

Re: Furthermore vs. moreover

Most speakers use them synonymously; some speakers don't:

moreover, beyond what has been said
    furthermore, in addition to what has been said

[1] “The acceleration performance of this car model is very poor; furthermore, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”

[2] “The acceleration performance of this car is very poor; moreover, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”

In the first example, the speaker gives 'an impartial, co-equal assessment of the two inadequacies of the car model', whereas in the second example, a critical judgmental sense against the fuel consumption aspect is conveyed. The speaker’s bias shows somewhat.

SOURCE

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Re: Furthermore vs. moreover

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Most speakers use them synonymously; some speakers don't:
    moreover, beyond what has been said
    furthermore, in addition to what has been said
    [1] “The acceleration performance of this car model is very poor; furthermore, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”
    [2] “The acceleration performance of this car is very poor; moreover, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”
    In the first example, the speaker gives 'an impartial, co-equal assessment of the two inadequacies of the car model', whereas in the second example, a critical judgmental sense against the fuel consumption aspect is conveyed. The speaker’s bias shows somewhat.
    SOURCE
    Thanks, Casiopea. I am not sure if I undersand it well, so please correct me if necessary. In summary, I use 'furthermore' when the two issues considered are "at the same level", whereas I use 'moreover' to support the main issue (from the first sentence). Am I right? I feel I am not, in fact...

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    Last edited by nyggus; 12-Jun-2006 at 17:52.

Re: Furthermore vs. moreover

The way I read, some speakers use 'Furthermore' to express something from an objective point of view, and 'Moreover' to express something from more of a subjective point of view.