• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Hayes-in-the-up

Hello,

I know my question sounds probably strange but is there any way to decipher what Hayes-in-the-up mean? I know it is a name of a place but names of places are always based on something.

"This," said the labourer, in a voice so thin and tired that it seemed almost like the cold breath of the wind that drove beside them, "is Hayes-in-the-Up. Of course, though, it'll be a mile further on for you before you get to Fennington." He pointed in the direction from which he had just come, turned his sunken eyes again for a moment upon Ormerod, and then quickly faded down the descending path.

John Metcalfe, Bad Lands, 192?

Thank you very much
    Not a Teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Hayes-in-the-up

It's possible that the "Up" is/was an area of land which is/was known by that name so it could be a village which is/was within the boundaries of that piece of land.

Villages were also frequently given names which indicated a body of water they were near. However, if that were the case here, I would expect that particular place name to be "Hayes-on-the-Up".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.