Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use the word "edge" in different sentences. Please would someone take a look at them and correct my mistakes. This is not a school assignment but my own exercises to see if I can use the word "edge"properly.

1. The hunters drove the car to the edge of the woods and then went inside on foot.
2. The woman stood at the edge of the woods, completely dressed in white, looking like a ghost.
3. Peter's mother sat on the edge of his bed and read a story to him.
4. Their marriage was on the edge of collapse.
5. I could perceive an edge of envy in her voice.
6. John is on the edge of mental breakdown.
7. The onlookers edged closer to see what had happened with the wounded cyclist.
8. When Marina's marriage collapsed, she started to paint to take the edge off her pain.
9. The man on the bench edged towards Anna, and she went up and ran away.
10.The burglar touched the edge of the knife with his finger, and that made me tremble with fear.
11. I had an important interview and was on edge the whole morning.
12. As the crowd edged closer, the police had no choice but to use batons and tear gas to push them back.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have tried to use the word "edge" in different sentences. Please would someone take a look at them and correct my mistakes. This is not a school assignment but my own exercises to see if I can use the word "edge"properly.

1. The hunters drove the car to the edge of the woods and then went inside on foot.
"Edge" is fine but I would use "and then entered on foot".

2. The woman stood at the edge of the woods, completely dressed in white, looking like a ghost. :tick:

3. Peter's mother sat on the edge of his bed and read a story to him. :tick:

The usual phrase is "on the verge of ...".

I would use "a hint of envy".

I would, again, use "on the verge of ...".

7. The onlookers edged closer to see what had happened with the wounded cyclist.
"Edge" is fine but it would be more natural to say "... to the wounded/injured cyclist".

8. When Marina's marriage collapsed, she started to paint to take the edge off her pain. :tick:

9. The man on the bench edged towards Anna, and she went up and ran away.
"Edged" is fine but it's "and then she stood up/got up ...".

10.The burglar touched the edge of the knife with his finger, and that made me tremble with fear.
I would say "the edge of the blade" rather than "knife".

11. I had an important interview and was on edge the whole morning. :tick:

12. As the crowd edged closer, the police had no choice but to use batons and tear gas to push them back. :tick:

See above.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

1. The hunters drove [STRIKE]the car[/STRIKE] to the edge of the woods and [STRIKE]then went inside[/STRIKE] proceeded on foot.
2. The woman stood at the edge of the woods, completely dressed in white, looking like a ghost.
3. Peter's mother sat on the edge of his bed and read a story to him.
8. When Marina's marriage collapsed, she started to paint to take the edge off her pain.
9. The man on the bench edged (closer) towards Anna, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but she [STRIKE]went[/STRIKE] got up and ran away.
11. I had an important interview and was on edge the whole morning.
12. As the crowd edged closer, the police had no choice but to use batons and tear gas to push them back.
For #7, I suspect you mean "injured" instead of "wounded." ;-)
Otherwise, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.