Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
England
Hi everyone,

I would need reproofing / enhancement regarding a short recommendation which should be written in perfect GB or US English.
In dark blue: he meant that where the employee really exceeded expectations was in her motivation to learn (or it could be that her motivation to learn helped her to exceed the team's expectation).

About the 2 bits below, could you please let me know if I can leave it this way or there is no way:
  • quick to pick up the technicals of our activity
  • She proved to be self-sufficient

I have been supervising Y while working in the Z department of X.
Y was a resourceful colleague, quick to pick up the technicals of our activity.
Her input on analysis was always valuable.
She infinitely exceeded expectations regarding her motivation to learn, and proved to be self-sufficient within the team.
Y is a valuable person to work with and I would highly recommend her for any analyst position.

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you say that she exceeded expectations, it could mean that you thought she wasn't going to be very good. How about She was very highly motivated to learn.

What exactly do you mean by self-sufficient- it sounds odd when talking about her teamwork.

xikitaa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
England
If you say that she exceeded expectations, it could mean that you thought she wasn't going to be very good. How about She was very highly motivated to learn.
Thank you Tdol. To me expectation is only what is supposed to be done.

What exactly do you mean by self-sufficient- it sounds odd when talking about her teamwork.
Self-sufficient means able to supply one's or its own needs without help. It sounds positive to me. He means that I am not asking always asking questions and relying on others.

xikitaa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
England

- Thank you Tdol. To me expectation is only what is supposed to be done.
- Self-sufficient means able to supply one's or its own needs without help. It sounds positive to me. He means that I am not asking always asking questions and relying on others.
- So is it better to say as the way re-written below? And which phrase between the 2 in blue?

Please people help me!
Thank you!

X was a resourceful colleague within the team.
She was
quick to pick up the technicals of our activity and proved to be self-sufficient
Her input on analysis was always valuable.
X infinitely exceeded expectations regarding her motivation to learn / X was very highly motivated to learn.
X is a valuable person to work with and I would highly recommend her for any analyst position.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about something like this:

She was a highly motivated and resourceful colleague, who quickly learned the technical aspects of our work and worked well within the team. Her input on analysis was always valuable. I have no hesitation in recommending her for any position as an analyst.

(Infinitely exceeded doesn't work for me.)

xikitaa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
England
Guys I haven't be able to suggest the amendments you all kindly proposed me, the writer wants to put it this way only.
So please let me know if it's ok or not to show to potential recruiters the following.
Thanks in advance.

(..) X was quick to pick up the technical details of our activities throughout her employment and proved to be a resourceful colleague.
H
er input on analysis was always valuable.
X definitively exceeded expectations in terms of her motivation to improve as well as her self-sufficiency.
I would highly recommend X for any analyst position.

xikitaa

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
England
Please someone to help me it's urgent :cry:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)