[Essay] AM I IN THE TOPIC: "Is the Press too powerful?", please rate my work out of 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: AM I IN THE TOPIC: "Is the Press too powerful?", please rate my work out of 20

Any power the press might have is due to its power to expose things that people in power would rather keep secret.

Amrah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
France
Re: AM I IN THE TOPIC: "Is the Press too powerful?", please rate my work out of 20

I agree to that but in my essay I wanted to talk about the values on which the press are founded on and therefore consider it scandalous should they stray away from these values. That's to omit the legal aspect.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

I still think your writing (Post #13) is over-complicated. Try saying those points using fewer and simpler words.

Amrah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
France

How about summing all that up in just two sentences?

The Press in general, does more good than harm. Its frequent involvement in scandals has prompted press power being put into question.

When you say "over-complicated", does that imply that it lacks intelligibilty?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Two things.

The word "press" is not a proper noun.

The press's main involvement with scandals has to do with reporting them. (Is that what you're talking about?)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Use "The Press" to refer to newspapers in general.

(I could neither edit nor delete the previous post.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Amrah:

I only want to let you know that in 2015 America, the term "the press" is seldom used.

The current term is "the media." That includes newspapers, TV, radio, the Internet, etc.

Most Americans no longer get most of their news from newspapers printed on paper.

Maybe the title of your paper should be changed to "Are the Media Too Powerful?"

("Media" is the plural of "medium." For example: "Television is a powerful medium.")

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Even though "media" is plural, in BrE we would use it as a collective noun and say "Is the media too powerful?"

Status
Not open for further replies.