Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
meaning of "plum-voiced" and "either touching or profoundly naive"

Dear all,

I'm reading The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett and there are two ideas in the following paragraph that I don't understand:

"The leader of the women’s commune was a stout, plum-voiced woman. She decided, with an idealism that was either touching or profoundly naive, to found a ‘new matriarchal co-operative community’. Eva was sceptical: how, she had asked them, could a truly co-operative community exclude half the population?"

Firstly, I can't imagine what kind of voice is "plum-voiced". Is it sharp or hoarse? Is it pleasant or not? Secondly, even though I looked up the dictionary for those adejectives, I still don't understand what "either touching or profoundly naive" means. Can anybody explain the ideas for me?

Dena11

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: meaning of "plum-voiced" and "either touching or profoundly naive"

Hi KuaiLe, I'm not sure about plum-voiced, it's not a term I've ever heard. My guess is that it is round and smooth, like a plum. But, perhaps, someone else will know for sure. To say that someone's idealism is "touching" is to say that it is "moving" in an emotional sense. To say that it is "profoundly naive" is to say that it is deeply naive or unworldly. You can find synonyms and definitions of "naive" in any dictionary.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Is it possible the sentence an idealism that was either touching or profoundly naive describes two levels of impression made on people around her? Some were moved by her idealism (probably ironically, looking at her with forebearing smiles), some openly laughed at the sheer naivity of her idealism.

KuaiLe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Is it possible the sentence an idealism that was either touching or profoundly naive describes two levels of impression made on people around her? Some were moved by her idealism (probably ironically, looking at her with forebearing smiles), some openly laughed at the sheer naivity of her idealism.

Thanks a lot. I think your suggestion has clarified my confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.