English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there!
I had some young students who talked with me while I was teaching. This type of students likes to talk with teacher. They want to grab teacher's attention. I don't know what to do with these students. I don't want to bother them but they actually don't let me teach.
Another complicated situation I've had was a student of age 7 among other students of the class with the age range of 13-14. He was really enthusiastic about English and loved to participate in class. But he wanted me to just pay attention to him and answer him , talk to him. Whenever I asked a question he wanted to answer and he didn't let the others to think or answer.
I didn't want to treat badly with him. I didn't want him to loose his love of English. He loved me and my class and I didn't like to break this rapport.
What's your suggestion in these cases?
Thanks

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You are very concerned about 'bothering' the learners, but they show no concern for you. If you are not able to teach effectively because of these students, then they are not learning. That should be more worrying than breaking a rapport that you don't actually have.

You will have to make it clear to them that if they wish to say something to you or ask you a question, they must make some acceptable sign (such as raising a hand). Think of some form of sanction (such as the withdrawal of some privilege) for learners who disrupt your lesson.

Hi, Bunch of thanks for your answer
I did some of these sanctions but they just worked for some limited time period the student specially the younger one soon forgot the sanction and this approach failed.
You know, I don't mean that I couldn't teach at all, I did manage the class to some extent but I was in pressure to be able to manage the class (pay attention to individuals and their emotions and their mental matters) and manage the teaching cycle.
I think there should be a better solution rather than sacrificing one student.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I am replying to your thread because I had many years' experience observing secondary and adult ESL classes. So I think that I am qualified to participate in the discussion.

First, congratulations. The only problem seems to be that your students are overly enthusiastic. Wow! What a wonderful "problem."

I suggest that the best way to calm them down is to find some activity so interesting that they will ignore you.

Of course, the easiest way is to have them work at computers. Students of all ages will glue themselves to a computer. It will be you who will be begging them to pay attention to you.

If computers are out of the question, then you will have to come up with "old-fashioned" materials: books with lots of illustrations and lessons, for example.

To quiet them down when they first enter the room, many teachers find that there should be an activity for them to work on. It could be written on the white-, chalkboard. Or -- even better -- it could be on a sheet of paper that each student picks up as s/he enters the room. Since your students are really good students, they will concentrate on the 5 or 10 questions that are on the sheet of paper. In the meantime, you can take the roll and catch your breath for a moment before the fun starts.

In short, you should have an activity that takes the spotlight off you -- at least for a part of the time: computers, books, short lessons, TV, films, games.

You might also seat them in groups. Since your students are really nice children, they will respond affirmatively to such an arrangement. They will discuss the lesson among themselves.

Your job will be to circulate around the room and visit each group to assist them.

As the saying goes, the teacher is no longer "the sage on the stage. The teacher nowadays is the guide on the side."

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for your brilliant help! It seems really interesting for me.
I do agree. I need more pear-work and group-work activities and some other types you have mentioned above.I will put it on my agenda.
Thanks a zillion

Status
Not open for further replies.