• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

"Then" in Temporal Deixis

Good morning everyone,how're you doing? I'd like to ask you about these examples in which the deictic expression "then" is used.
    December7th,1993,I was born then: this is a distal form of time deixis because it applies to both past and future time related to the speaker's present time.This is the 1st example.
    The 2nd example: I study here now/ I studied there then. This is considered in pragmatics books as a proximal form in terms of the choice of verb tense(present)
    The question is: Why is it distal in the 1st example but proximal in the 2nd? I'm really confused...I'm waiting for your comments.
    Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: "Then" in Temporal Deixis

Quote Originally Posted by Zaynab21 View Post
    Good morning everyone,how're you doing? I'd like to ask you about these examples in which the deictic expression "then" is used.
    December7th,1993,I was born then: this is a distal form of time deixis because it applies to both past and future time related to the speaker's present time.
    It is distal because the contextual reference (time past) is different from the time of the utterance (the speaker/writer's 'now'). It has nothing to do with future time here.

I study here now/ I studied there then. This is considered in pragmatics books as a proximal form in terms of the choice of verb tense(present)
    Could you please give us more context - what else was said about these examples?