I guess the original text is ungrammatical, how about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I was reading an article in Wikipedia and found that some parts of it seem ungrammatical. I have corrected those parts but I'm not sure about my corrections. would you please express your opinions toward the original text and my corrections?

He then played roles of ACP Arvind Mathur who [STRIKE]battles[/STRIKE] battles against his inner demons in Shaitan, [STRIKE]the tinnitus affected DJ from Soundtrack[/STRIKE] the DJ affected by tinnitus in Soundtrack and also played Vivaan Agasthi in the 2013 thriller, Table No. 21.

Thank you in advance,

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello,
I was reading an article in Wikipedia, and [STRIKE]found that[/STRIKE] some parts of it seem ungrammatical. I have corrected those parts, but I'm not sure about my corrections. Would you please tell me [STRIKE]express[/STRIKE] your opinions [STRIKE]toward[/STRIKE] about the original text and my corrections?
Thank you in advance.

He then played the roles of ACP Arvind Mathur who battles his inner demons in Shaitan, the tinnitus-affected DJ [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in Soundtrack and also played Vivaan Agasthi in the 2013 thriller, Table No. 21.

See corrections above. :)

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
He then played the roles of ACP Arvind Mathur who battles his inner demons in Shaitan, the tinnitus-affected DJ [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in Soundtrack and also played Vivaan Agasthi in the 2013 thriller, Table No. 21.

Would you please tell me why "the DJ affected by tinnitus" is wrong?

You mentioned that "tinnitus-affected DJ" is correct. I googled 'tinnitus-affected' and found no result! I could not perceive why your form is correct.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Is the 'also played' part necessary?

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
teeachar did not say that it was wrong.

When he did not accept my correction in this case, it means that he believed my correction was wrong.

But another interpretation which I made from your post is that both forms [ "the DJ affected by tinnitus" and "tinnitus-affected DJ"] are correct but they have got differences in their meanings. Yes?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You seem to have joined the mind-reading club.
English is not my native language, so I often have to guess what native speakers mean, but that has nothing to do with mind-reading. Don't laugh at me if I guess wrongly.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I googled 'tinnitus-affected' and found no result! I could not perceive why your form is correct.
I think 'the tinnitus-affected DJ' is correct just as 'a crime-ridden city' is correct.
'A crime-ridden city' = 'a city ridden with crime'.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Would you please tell me why "the DJ affected by tinnitus" is wrong?
I was simply trying to stay as close as possible to the original text. I never said your version was wrong. However, I won't comment any further on your jumping to conclusions, except to express my sincerest thanks to Piscean for having done the honours. :-D :up: :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.