• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

How to express an "have to" expression that has been mentioned in the details box.

Are the below sentences all grammatically correct and implies same meaning or closer?

1. People are to be more responsible in their workplace to achieve their career goal.

2. People have to be more responsible in their workplace to achieve their career goal.

3. People are bound to be more responsible in their workplace to achieve their career goal.

Can someone help me to understand those sentences and what would be the correct formate to express this type of situation/expression?

Actually I wanted to express that like, those sentences are not my opinion, those are fact. as, people are needed to be responsible by themselves (not for my emphasis).

but when i use "have to" it implies that, i'm mentioning that if people won't not be responsible then they can't achieve their goal.

what would be the correct formation of that kind of sentences where people are needed it (responsible) by themselves.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 01-Dec-2015 at 19:17. Reason: Enlarging font size.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: How to express an "have to" expression that has been mentioned in the details box

I suggest you begin by looking up the word responsible. You will find it has several usages.

Your best beginning is your #2, but it's still not quite clear. It could mean:

A. People need to take on more tasks ("be more responsible") if they expect to reach their career goals. Note that people (plural) have goals (plural).
    OR
    B. Each individual is in charge of advancing his/her own career. No one else should be relied upon to do it for them.

Now, reading your later statements to try to clarify, I see: people are needed to be responsible by themselves. This tends to lean toward meaning B.

However,
    if people won't not be responsible then they can't achieve their goal is closer to meaning A.

If you mean A, then I suggest: 'People need to take on more responsibility in their workplace if they want to achieve their career goals.'

If you mean B, then: 'People are each responsible for reaching their own career goals.'