English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello,

Does anyone know if it's okay to use fillers when answering questions on the speaking part of the IELTS test. For instance, if the examiner asks me: 'What's your favourite restaurant?' could I reply with: 'Well, that's a good question (while thinking of a restaurant)...'.

Or in this instance should I just keep my mouth shut while I think and then start when I'm ready. If I don't start straight away will I be penalised?

Thanks

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The natural use of fillers is perfectly acceptable; it's certainly much better than keeping your mouth shut. Just be mindful to do it naturally. Otherwise, if it looks like you'd planned to deliberately use a certain filler, the examiner may not be all that impressed. Having said that, I understand that you get one minute to prepare to speak about the given task.

Have a look at this:
http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare-test/understand-test-format/speaking-test

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Fillers are a natural part of speech, so using them in an appropriate manner is fine. Sitting in silence while you plan what to say is not a natural part of most conversations, so wouldn't look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.