Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Somebody sent me the offer letter. I want to borrow sometime and want to ask them to increase it to certain level. Should I reply as below:

Many thanks for your offer. Please give me couple of days time to revert.

Are the above sentences OK. Please suggest any better way to write wherein I can mention my expectation to offer me higher salary as well as I can borrow sometime to revert.

Thanks

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Offers for jobs or study courses usually indicate a specified period for which the offer remains valid. Do you need to ask for time beyond that?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your use of "revert" is strange, at least in AmE. I would use "respond" or "reply".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I sensed that that might be the case.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Somebody sent me [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an offer letter. I want to [STRIKE]borrow[/STRIKE] delay giving my answer for [STRIKE]sometime[/STRIKE] a little time and want to ask them to increase [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the salary to a certain level. Should I reply as below:

Many thanks for your offer. Please give me couple of days time to revert.

Are the above sentences OK? Please suggest any better way to write wherein I can mention my [STRIKE]expectation[/STRIKE] request [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] that they offer me a higher salary [STRIKE]as well as I can borrow sometime to revert[/STRIKE] and asking them for some extra time to respond.

Thanks.

See my changes above.

They have presumably given you a date by which they want you to respond. I would mention that date in your letter and then say exactly how much longer you want to be given. I certainly would not mention an "expectation" of a higher salary. I would perhaps ask if the salary is negotiable.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Some time" is two words for the meaning you intend.

Status
Not open for further replies.