Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Somebody has sent me an offer and asked me to reply by tomorrow. Can I reply as below? Please modify it to convey in a more decent and meaningful way.

I am interested to join Reliance Industries. But as discussed during our last con call, I have been expecting salary range in between 15 to 16 lac, keeping in mind that I have to relocate myself to Chandigarh.

You are requested to consider the same.

Thanks
Anil

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I am (definitely) interested [STRIKE]to join[/STRIKE] in joining Reliance Industries. But as discussed during our last conference call, I [STRIKE]have been expecting[/STRIKE] expect a salary [STRIKE]range in between[/STRIKE] of 15 to 16 lac, keeping in mind that I have to relocate [STRIKE]myself[/STRIKE] to Chandigarh.

Please take that into consideration and let me know if you agree to my expected salary range.
[STRIKE]You are requested to consider the same.
[/STRIKE]
Thanks,
Anil
Note that while lac/lakh is common in Indian English, it is not used in standard English.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am (definitely) interested to join in joining Reliance Industries. But as discussed during our last conference call, I have been expecting expect a salary range in between of 15 to 16 lac, keeping in mind that I have to relocate myself to Chandigarh.

Can you please help me to know why " to join" and "have been expecting" is incorrect?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suniljain
"have been expecting"

"have been expecting" could imply that you don't expect that salary any longer; "am" is unambiguous and means you still expect that salary range.

I understand " have been expecting" means that I was expecting and presently I am also expecting. Please clarify if I am not correct.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I understand " have been expecting" means that I was expecting and presently I am also expecting. Please clarify if I am not correct.

You are not correct.
As I've already mentioned, it can mean that, but it can also mean that you no longer expect (that salary). It tells us that "expect" started in the past and continued right up to the present. It does not tell us if it continues in the present or not.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Not always- when you arrive and someone says that they have been expecting you, they are no longer expecting you because you are there. Also, it doesn't matter here whether you have been thinking about that sort of salary in the past ornot. What matters is that it is what you expect now.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'I have been expecting a salary of 15 to 16 lac, but now I know that is impossible.'

Is that possible?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
'I have been expecting a salary of 15 to 16 lac, but now I know that is impossible.'

Is that possible?

Like Tdol, I may not use it, but I don't think that sentence is impossible.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think it would be correct if 'minded' was used instead of 'interested'.
No. That doesn't work.

Also, in "I have been meaning to ask you ... etc.", it's clear that the action continues into the present.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. I have been meaning to ask you (something).
2. I have been expecting a salary of 15 to 16 lac.

In #1 it's clear that the action continues into the present, while #2 could imply the speaker does not expect that salary any longer. Why is there such a difference?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd accept either "I was expecting a salary of ... but I now understand that's not possible" or "I had been hoping for a salary of ... but I now understand that's not possible".

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it correct to say the following:

In the OP's context, 'have been expecting' should not imply a finished action, but it is better to use 'expect' because it does not matter whether the expectation started in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.