Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. Most of the original was pseudointellectual gibberish.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Saying something can make something true - performative verbs, for instance - but that does not extend to any texts simply because someone believes it. Like all conspiracy theory views of language, this one seemingly fails to convince anyone outside its immediate circle. I am prepared to be proved wrong in a few years, but would bet against it.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Science in its pure form does not create or reproduce telecommunication. It merely investigates the phenomenon. We already have a vague understanding of telecommunication as demonstrated in hypnosis, a form of mind control--although controversial--has some useful application. Medical research find that hypnosis (long distance or otherwise) can help people with chronic pain and even overcome addiction. It is not a cure per se but a procedure to suppress the brain receptors and “ignore” the pain-- thereby making the patient feel better.
Science investigates what seems to lack proof that something exist.
How can we know that something needs investigating if we discourage the assimilation of ideas that might be useful. When Nicola Tesla came up with the AC Theory (that eventually led to wireless technology), he was frowned upon and even labelled a crackpot. We won't be sitting in front of our computers if people who understood listened to those naysayers. Theories, knocked-up or conspiratorial allow us to walk away and become a little bit smarter.

Quantum pseudo-telepathy, a phenomenon in quantum game theory” as used here is not a sentence per se, rather, one of the enumerated pseudo-sciences that include the talking horse, the Japanese Ishin-denshin telepathic theory). The word quantum in the (former phrase) acts as an adjective to describe a particular science (quantum pseudo-telepathy) while the latter phrase (a phenomenon in quantum game theory) serves as a modifier for the first phrase. Derived from Latin noun quantus (how much) .
As used in this instance, it is an adjective which simply means a noticeable change, a sudden transition from usual same old same old. Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Computers, Quantum Physics etc.
A lot of phrases sound gobbledygook for those not involved in a particular discipline. As part of the crowd looking in from the outside, we just need to embrace them with an open mind hoping that as we continue our education, we can finally say: “now I get it”.
Yes I know that that article was lifted from a Linguistic Forum.
I'm wondering how you determined that this is a copy/paste when you said it has been deleted. Be that as it may, doesn't mean much one way or the other.
If the post did not fall under the realm of what you would consider common sense, portions of it could have been redacted instead of being met with hostility. What happened to the moderators when we needed them?
Furthermore, the poster stated that he/she is a student learner. Could she/he be drafting a term paper that needs input from readers to expand somebody's article published in a learned journal? As a term paper, it merely suggest a presentation of a previous conducted research. This is different from treatise that requires scholarly qualities, and far from being a dissertation which is required in the pursuit of a doctorate degree, it simply allows the teacher to make any correction that it may require. I remember in high school years ago when my mom used to help me prepare my term paper whose deadline was fast approaching. There were pages in my paper with newspaper clippings. As kids who didn't know much about intellectual property, this procedure was and still is allowed in grade school.
Whether the writing is a form of composition, the lowest form of treatise or dissertation that requires truthfulness is not important. This is a forum that tutors the use of English not a cadre of scientific experts and therefore not qualified to make judgment about the validity of the statements.

Given the style, the expression and terminology, it suggest that the writer has the necessary tool to pursue something that is science-based—it is simply intended to develop critical thinking.

Disambiguation is appreciated. As an aside: this comment will appear in my (private) Facebook account as a response to the argument.

Thank you for the privilege.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And yet, telepathy does not exist.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm wondering how you determined that this is a copy/paste when you said it has been deleted.

I searched in Google, found the Wikipedia reference, opened the link, and found that the page had been deleted. It wasn't rocket science, like the article.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A lot of phrases sound gobbledygook for those not involved in a particular discipline. As part of the crowd looking in from the outside, we just need to embrace them with an open mind hoping that as we continue our education, we can finally say: “now I get it”.

Only if they are being used properly. I do not need to embrace anyone who uses the word quantum any more than I need to regard Star Trek and Doctor Who reversing the polarity of the neutron field as serious science to stop the time vortex- it's a narrative ploy.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I searched in Google, found the Wikipedia reference, opened the link, and found that the page had been deleted. It wasn't rocket science, like the article.

Wikipedia, I have to admit, can really be an important addition in a plethora of resources necessary in conducting research. Even doctors use it.

However, it is not immune to omissions, bias, even ambiguous and conflicting entries. Over-reliance on it can sometimes be hazardous to your health .

Michael Gorman, the former president of American Library Association (ALA) stated in his blog:

“A professor who encourages the use of Wikipedia is the intellectual equivalent of a dietician who recommends a steady diet of Big Macs with everything.”

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. Most of the original was pseudointellectual gibberish.

Pseudo=pretentious, not real or fake. Along with gibberish (which makes it double negative) also denotes negativity, therefore the expression becomes positive. Not uncommon=common.

Since you stated that “most was pseudo intellectual” (which means some are intellectual) , perhaps the quasi prefix would be more unambiguous.
Except in some medical terms, pseudo prefix could denote positivity. Pseudoephedrine medication, pseudocolloid. A female illness.
Quasi=resembling or half true. The quasi liberal freedom drafted by the Soviet Politburo.
The quasi legal commission to investigate corruption.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And yet, telepathy does not exist.

In response to your latest post, it is obvious that some degree of familiarity with the Japanese culture would help. The Ishin-denshin telepathyhas been practiced by the Japanese for centuries. So telepathy does exist. The equivalent of this in western culture is: “mutual understanding”-- the unspoken/unwritten communication between two negotiating parties.

Before I get too deep into this, I must warn that mentioning cultures different from ours could easily be construed as racist. This not the intent.
For the Japanese (and most Asian cultures), Ishin-denshin is much more reliable in terms of its trustworthiness as opposed to verbal communication because the verbal version can be susceptible to deception. This trait is often observed from most individuals who have deep roots in Asian culture. Because of this innate behavior, they are often judged stoic. On the contrary they are not.

If you happen to be walking in front of a Korean shopper and he/she accidentally pushed the cart forward hitting your ankle, you know how painful it is (especially if you are wearing sandals) and could even tear your ankle tendons. The guy, instead of offering an apology would often display stern look on his face. This is not a display of indifference. He is communicating and accepting that he is at fault. He is sorry.
In addition, since this happened unintentionally without malice, he will assume that you understood and expects that you will forgive him.

Even in small towns in Romania where I briefly taught Math and Physics, I found most of the people in small villages practice something similar to Ishin-denshin. I would assume it is no different in big cities.
In a nutshell, telepathy is universal.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Telepathy still doesn't exist.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Wikipedia, I have to admit, can really be an important addition in a plethora of resources necessary in conducting research. Even doctors use it.

However, it is not immune to omissions, bias, even ambiguous and conflicting entries. Over-reliance on it can sometimes be hazardous to your health .

I didn't depend on it- I merely found that the original article had been deleted from it. But thanks for letting me know that it is not perfect; I would never have known.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In response to your latest post, it is obvious that some degree of familiarity with the Japanese culture would help. The Ishin-denshin telepathyhas been practiced by the Japanese for centuries. So telepathy does exist. The equivalent of this in western culture is: “mutual understanding”-- the unspoken/unwritten communication between two negotiating parties.

My wife is Japanese and she tells me that the supposedly telepathic elements you are referring too are not what the concept is about. Mind you, she is a scientist, so you could regard her as biased if you like. And you probably know more about Japanese culture.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The Ishin-denshin telepathyhas been practiced by the Japanese for centuries. So telepathy does exist.
No. "Telepathy" has a meaning in English. What you are describing is not telepathy. You can't prove anything by equivocating on a word like that. The Rolls Royce Ghost exists, so ghosts exist, etc. No one here is going to buy that level of argument.
What you are describing are cultural traditions and understandings. Have you heard of non-verbal communication? If you nod at an acquaintance in the street, that means something like 'Hello'. But the concept of 'Hello' is not transferred mentally; it is a cultural sign, just like waving, flipping the bird, smiling, etc. None of these require telepathy.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Not my doctor, because as soon as I discovered my doctor was relying on anything in Wikipedia for my medical treatment, he would no longer be my doctor.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My wife is Japanese and she tells me that the supposedly telepathic elements you are referring too are not what the concept is about. Mind you, she is a scientist, so you could regard her as biased if you like. And you probably know more about Japanese culture.

[Metaphorically speaking]

Just because someone was born and grew up in Africa doesn't mean he knows everything about lions.
As a matter of fact many children in Africa who've grown up in the same environment haven't even seen a lion in the wild--let alone know everything about the animal.

Given their bigger chance of encountering a real lion, I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt just as much to a guy living in the asphalt jungle of Brooklyn.

Regards to your smart wife.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. "Telepathy" has a meaning in English. What you are describing is not telepathy. You can't prove anything by equivocating on a word like that. The Rolls Royce Ghost exists, so ghosts exist, etc. No one here is going to buy that level of argument.
What you are describing are cultural traditions and understandings. Have you heard of non-verbal communication? If you nod at an acquaintance in the street, that means something like 'Hello'. But the concept of 'Hello' is not transferred mentally; it is a cultural sign, just like waving, flipping the bird, smiling, etc. None of these require telepathy.

If one encounters someone in the street, whether he is an acquaintance, a long-lost friend, estranged family member or even someone you've had an unamicable separation, the reaction is not always the concept of “hello”, rather, both individuals' first reaction is shock and the mind switches to overdrive. Do I have to hug this person, say hello or just totally ignore the encounter.

Depending on how the disconnect was brought upon, the person are confronted with a a rapid decision to make. These processes are all happening in split second inside a normally functioning brain--on both individuals. If you have a better word or meaning in English, let's have it.

In this situation, acting one way or the other could mean big difference: from embarrassment and even save us from looking deranged if not handled properly. I would not recommend saying hello to someone with a blank stare on his face. And if this scenario were ever to happen you will understand why we need increased awareness that mental illness is a reality.
I'm not here to convince anyone to what I accept that telepathy is something that science can possibly harness to benefit us all. We are all endowed with the prerogative to accept or not accept what we refuse.

But let me tell you this:

Your argument that telepathy doesn't exist is no more convincing that telepathy does exist.

My best regards to friends in Wagga Wagga and the beautiful town of Katoomba.
For those who are wondering, these are two places in Australia located west of Sydney. I spent two months there in 2011.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

If one encounters someone in the street, whether he is an acquaintance, a long-lost friend, estranged family member or even someone you've had an unamicable separation, the reaction is not always the concept of “hello”, rather, both individuals' first reaction is shock and the mind switches to overdrive. Do I have to hug this person, say hello or just totally ignore the encounter.

Depending on how the disconnect was brought upon, the person are confronted with a a rapid decision to make. These processes are all happening in split second inside a normally functioning brain--on both individuals. If you have a better word or meaning in English, let's have it.

In this situation, acting one way or the other could mean big difference: from embarrassment and even save us from looking deranged if not handled properly. I would not recommend saying hello to someone with a blank stare on his face. And if this scenario were ever to happen you will understand why we need increased awareness that mental illness is a reality.
I'm not here to convince anyone to what I accept that telepathy is something that science can possibly harness to benefit us all. We are all endowed with the prerogative to accept or not accept what we refuse.

But let me tell you this:

Your argument that telepathy doesn't exist is no more convincing that telepathy does exist.

My best regards to friends in Wagga Wagga and the beautiful town of Katoomba.
For those who are wondering, these are two places in Australia located west of Sydney. I spent two months there in 2011.

Turner

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not my doctor, because as soon as I discovered my doctor was relying on anything in Wikipedia for my medical treatment, he would no longer be my doctor.

The American Medical Association (AMA) requires relicensing tests that are conducted regularly to make sure accredited doctors are up to date in analyzing data on electronic medical records, digital health care, telemedicine that includes data analytics to formulate impacts of several advances in the medical field. Wikipedia is a valuable resource to prepare doctors for this relicensing process because most of the information in Wiki are contributed by prominent doctors. Failure to comply (and pass the test) would jeopardize their right to practice the profession.

This doesn't mean that they need to consult Wiki on how to operate on a patient or how and when to prescribe medication. They've already spent substantial amount of time and money to acquire the knowledge and become certified by AMA. I believe teachers are also subjected to this process. I know in my home state in several school districts, this is a requirement in order to hold their tenure.

Of course if a practicing doctor graduated from the “old school”, he may not have the skill to run a computer— a good reason enough to preclude him from accessing Wikipedia.

I hope your doctor doesn't belong to this breed. And if he is, I wish you well.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you happen to be walking in front of a Korean shopper and he/she accidentally pushed the cart forward hitting your ankle, you know how painful it is (especially if you are wearing sandals) and could even tear your ankle tendons. The guy, instead of offering an apology would often display stern look on his face. This is not a display of indifference. He is communicating and accepting that he is at fault. He is sorry.
In addition, since this happened unintentionally without malice, he will assume that you understood and expects that you will forgive him.

What does this have to do with telepathy? It's just a cultural mater. If you ram a shopping cart into my ankle, I will instinctively apologise as I am British. Some cultures wouldn't. It's simply our way of handling such situations- not better or worse, but different from some. The Koreans, apparently, do things differently from me. That does not mean that they are beaming things into my pineal gland; it just means that this is how they deal with the situation.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is the strangest thread we have had in a long time. :shock:

Status