Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I am trying to summarize a paraphrase, but I am having great difficulty in trying to know how to do it correctly without it being considered plagarism. For example - how to summarise the following phrase by giving credit to both people?

Scientist Wendy Chan, on Friday said that climate change is real and influenced by man.

Article written by Joe bloe.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello​.

I am trying to summarize a paraphrase, but I am having great difficulty [STRIKE]in trying to know how to[/STRIKE] doing it [STRIKE]correctly[/STRIKE] without it being considered plagiarism. [STRIKE]For example -[/STRIKE] How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I summarise the following phrase by giving credit to both people?

Scientist Wendy Chan, on Friday said that climate change is real and influenced by man. (This is a poorly written sentence. Where did you find it?)

Article written by Joe Bloe.

See above. Your member profile shows that you are a native English speaker and an English teacher. As such, it's very important that you use correct English at all times on this forum because learners will assume everything you write is correct. Is there a reason you used the AmE spelling "summarize" the first time and the BrE spelling "summarise" the second time?

citation_needed

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
See above. Your member profile shows that you are a native English speaker and an English teacher. As such, it's very important that you use correct English at all times on this forum because learners will assume everything you write is correct. Is there a reason you used the AmE spelling "summarize" the first time and the BrE spelling "summarise" the second time?

I could have sworn that I had picked "Student" under profile.It must have been an oversight then. I have now corrected this error.

By the way, pardon for my poor grammar, but I do try to the best I can. However, I am not as good as some of the others here are.

I sometimes struggle to clearly put thoughts into words because I suffer from a few mental health issues such as Anxiety, Depression & Weight problems.

Re: The use of "Summarise" it was just a typo between American English and Australian English.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
According to Joe Bloe, scientist Wendy Chan stated on Friday that climate change is a real and important global issue.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Might it not be better to give the date rather than the day as it will become unclear when she spoke in a few days?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The revision also leaves out the part of it being influenced by man.

Status
Not open for further replies.