Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In some texts, I saw sentence like this "Are you going to study English tomorrow?" But answer was "yes,I plan to study English tomorrow."
The answer isn't in future but in simple present,why? simple present is used with "tomorrow". May i know why? and when this way of writing is correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The simple present is often used to refer to a future event. "I leave for Sydney on Thursday".
But in neither of your sentences does the present refer to the future.
The sentence means "I plan [now] to study tomorrow", not "Tomorrow, I'm going to plan to study".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
In [STRIKE]some texts[/STRIKE] a text, I saw the sentence [STRIKE]like this[/STRIKE] "Are you going to study English tomorrow?" [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] The answer was "Yes, (space required after a comma) I plan to study English tomorrow."
The answer isn't in the future but is in the simple present. Why is the simple present [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] used with "tomorrow"? [STRIKE]May i know why?[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] When is this way of writing [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] correct?

The simple present is used because it refers to the current plan. By definition, plans refer to what you might do in the future. It doesn't matter how far in the future.

I plan to eat dinner at 6pm today.
I plan to go on holiday in February.
I plan to own a mansion by 2025.

Please see my corrections above, marked in red.

eseslami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's very kind of you to explain and note every things.I don't know if i could write correctly in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.