Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I understand that I still make many mistakes regarding punctuation and grammar. Here are a few sentences I have written as an exercise. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. I have bought a new camera that makes sharp, clear pictures.
2. Yesterday, I met an old widow whose wife had died recently, and I felt a pity for him.
3. The old factory, which had been closed for decades, has been turned into flats and shops.
4. John felt tired all the morning and waited eagerly for the bell to sound the end of the shift, so that he could return to his flat and his bed.
5. Anna stood on the hill and watched the flock of crows swooping over the field, which his father sowed in the morning.
6. The party has chosen a new leader, a man whose political career was full of scandals and controversies.
7. Peter felt there was nothing to complain about his new job, as long as his pay was good and on time.
8. It took Bob months to understand that his wife had been cheating on him with a postman, who would smile at him whenever they met in the street.
9. They had spent a few days in an old hotel, whose walls were covered with pictures and autographs of its celebrity guests.
10. The narrow road wound its way up the hill on whose top stood a guest-house and a restaurant.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand that I still make many mistakes regarding punctuation and grammar. Here are a few sentences I have written as an exercise. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. I have bought a new camera that [STRIKE]makes[/STRIKE] takes sharp, clear pictures.
Even though it's the photographer who actually takes the picture, we actually say that a camera takes pictures too.

2. Yesterday, I met an old widower whose wife had died recently, and I felt [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] pity for him.
A man whose wife has died is called a "widower". A widow is a woman whose husband is dead. We "feel pity", not "feel a pity".

3. The old factory, which had been closed for decades, has been turned into flats and shops. :tick:

4. John felt tired all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] morning and waited eagerly for the bell to sound at the end of the shift (no comma here) so that he could return to his flat and his bed.

5. Anna stood on the hill and watched the [STRIKE]flock[/STRIKE] murder of crows swooping over the field, which his father had sowed in the morning.
The collective term for crows is a "murder".

6. The party members [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have chosen a new leader, a man whose political career was full of scandals and controversies.

7. Peter felt there was nothing to complain about about his new job, as long as his pay was good and on time.
Although the repetition of "about" seems awkward, it's correct. I don't know what you mean at the end. Do you mean he is happy as long as he is paid "on time", meaning that his salary goes into his bank account on the right day?

8. It took Bob months to [STRIKE]understand[/STRIKE] realise that his wife had been cheating on him with a postman, who would smile at him whenever they met in the street.
There is a difference between realising something and understanding it.

9. They had spent a few days in an old hotel, [STRIKE]whose[/STRIKE] the walls of which were covered with pictures and autographs of its celebrity guests.

10. The narrow road wound [STRIKE]its way[/STRIKE] up the hill, on [STRIKE]whose[/STRIKE] top of which stood a guest-house and a restaurant.

See my corrections and, where appropriate, additional comments on each one.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
emsr2d2
Thank you for correcting my mistakes
Regarding my sentence number 7. I wanted to say that Peter was happy as long as his salary goes into his bank account on the right day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case I would say "... as long as he was paid well and on time."

Status