• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

• Post Thanks / Like

No sooner ......than

Hi, May I ask a question?
    What is the difference between using had or did after No sooner .......than ?
    I have searched for it , some people say there no difference between them and we can use both of them and some say that we use (had) when there is a gap between two actions ,and use (did) when an action happenes immediately after the other action . so, which one of them is right?
    Because I have a choose question that I have to choose one of them had or did .
    I would be really thankfull if you could answer my question .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: No sooner ......than

Quote Originally Posted by Rokaya View Post
    Hi, may I ask a question? (Of course you may. That's what we're here for!)

What is the difference between using "had​" or and "did" after "No sooner ... than"?

I have searched for it the answer but some people say there is no difference between them and we can use both of them, and some say that we use "had" when there is a gap between two actions, and use "did" when an one action happenes happens immediately after the other action. so, Which one of them is right?

Because I have a choose choice question that in which I have to choose one of them either "had" or "did".

I would be really thankfull grateful if you could answer my question.
    Welcome to the forum.

It depends on what verb form would be used if the construction were changed to one without "No sooner ... than ...".

I saw the tiger and then I saw the lion > No sooner did I see the tiger than I saw the lion.
    I had seen the tiger just before I saw the lion > No sooner had I seen the tiger than I saw the lion.

Note my corrections to your post above. You particularly need to concentrate on how we use spaces around punctuation. Don't put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark. Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Enclose words, phrases or example sentences inside quotation marks so that it's easy for us to differentiate between those words and the rest of your post.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.