Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi there,

In the following sentence, there are two parts (the underlined) I can’t figure out. Can anyone help me out? Thank you very much in advance.

“The Brix of the carrots is 16.9. It’s extraordinarily high number, even as the cooks, being cooks, drifted away to get back to work.”

Thank you for your attention.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, the underlined part is the only part that does make sense. The cooks want to get back to work. They want to do their jobs
It's what they know.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi there,

In the following sentence, there are two parts (the underlined) I can’t figure out. Can anyone help me out? Thank you very much in advance.

“The Brix of the carrots is 16.9. It’s extraordinarily high number, which Jack made sure I understand, even as the cooks, being cooks, drifted away to get back to work.”

Thank you for your attention.
A title of the book is: "The Third Plate - Field Notes on the Future of Food" by Dan Barber.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wish someone could make sure that we understand what on earth "The Brix of carrots is 16.9" means. ;-)

The second part still isn't a grammatical sentence. Are you sure it doesn't start "It's an extraordinarily high number ..."?

IQU3838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

1. Brix is the sweetness scale or sugar content. And 16.9 is very high in terms of carrots.
2. About the grammatical error, yes, you are right,
It's an extraordinarily high number...

Status
Not open for further replies.