Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

Would you be so kind to tell me what meaning could have the phrase "It's set in..." when it is used in the writing of a review for a movie or a book?

My sample: The new movie is set in England.

"It's set in..." this phrase is only about the place or it's about the content of the film too? Or it's more about the plot and storyline of the movie?

Denis.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello,

Would you be so kind as to tell me what meaning [STRIKE]could have[/STRIKE] the phrase "It's set in..." could have when it is used in the writing of a review for a movie or a book?

My sample: The new movie is set in England.

Is "It's set in..." this phrase [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] only about the place or it's about the content of the film too? Or it's more about the plot and storyline of the movie?

Denis.
It means the events take place in England. I don't understand your supplementary questions.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "setting" of a story is the time and place where the events occur. It is not about the plot or themes explored by the work. Except, of course, for how the time and place affect the items in the story. We would not expect a story set in Elizabethan England to have a car chase or have a plot involving computer hackers.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"It's set in..." this phrase is only about the place or it's about the content of the film too? Or it's more about the plot and storyline of the movie?

You're dividing the sentence up the wrong way:

It is set (the place the action takes place) + in (the preposition for this) England.

It is not a phrasal verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.