Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Dear host family and community,
I would like to thank you for being a volunteer family and for hosting me for the next 10 months. You reading this letter means so much for me: it is a dream becoming reality. I'm putting a lot of effort on writing this presentation because I know it is important for both you and me so I hope I will make the best presentation possible.

I am XXX XXX and I come from Italy. I'm a small city girl with a big passion for travelling and meeting new cultures. I am 16 years old and most of the closest people around me would describe me mainly as a curious, spontaneous and easy going person. From my curiosity I also developed a big interest in discovering new things and in getting educated in different topics; most of my friends like holding an exchange of opinions with me since they believe I have an open-minded point of view. Anyway I am a strong girl just on the outside, in fact, people who know me better, know also that I am very sensitive, emotional and unable to lie. At the same time, and it depends on the situations, I could be breezy and thoughtful. My relatives, classmates or even teachers are always describing me as a fun and cheerful girl, so it is somehow a pleasure to spend time with me. I am always looking forward to doing something new and productive even though I have a lazy character. If it was my mother writing this she would say that I am quiet messy (and that is reflected on my bedroom's chaos) but at the end, I often realise on my own that I should be tidier and more careful.

Talking about my mom, I should introduce you my family even at kilometres of distance. Starting with her, I must highlight the fact that she is from Croatia so part of my family lives away from me. Anyway, I get the chance to see my croatian relatives twice a year and thanks to this I am very bounded with my grandparents, my uncles and my cousins overseas. I have a good relationship with my parents and for me is easier, as an only child, to talk with them about school, my lifelong plans or just having small talks. Also, my parents spent a lot of time with me since I was a child so both of my parental figures are solid and, with that being said, I could describe our family as a normal and peaceful one even though we are not perfect either.

Back to me, I must say that as an active teenager I do a lot of thing in my spare time. As I said before I like discovering new places and things. I usually spend my sunny afternoons outside, taking a long walk in the city centre or in the countryside, going to a café, riding my bike or chilling in the park with my friends. I can't define myself as an "oudoorsy" nor as an "indoorsy" person since I enjoy staying at home too. In fact, whenever it's dull or rainy I like to read a good book all wrapped in my wool blanket while drinking a cup of tea or, even better, hot chocolate. When I feel quiet artistic I also try baking some cookies or cakes with my mum. Also, to make studying slightly funner, some of my classmates and I organise study session at the local library. Other than a student I am also an Italian Red Cross volunteer and since this Settember I am part of the "Young committee" of my hometown centre. Since this autumn I also enrolled in a Chinese course and a theatre course in English. So, as you may have realised, I really like learning new languages, whatever they are. Not only, when I feel particularly athletic I also go for a run or I do a spinning class at home. Nevertless I must say that my favourite sport is and it will always be volleyball because I have played it for about 9 years and it made me grow up emotionally.

Even though I do lots of things outside my school timetable I always manage time to study enough in order to maintain my high grades. I do care about my grades but sometimes it is hard to do all my "study tasks". I am not a genius and neither someone who can spend their whole afternoon studying but I enjoy most of my classes at school especially latin, greek and english. I am not very good at chemistry but I'm starting to like maths more this year. In my free time I also like reading newspapers or news magazines and I much appreciate the fact that our school is the one that encourages us to do so. I am attending a humanities high school but in the future I would like to persue a career in the Science field: in Economics or Global Development.

I could keep talking for pages and pages but I don't want to bore you and I cant't actually wait to see you and tell you about myself face to face! So again, a big thank you for your kindness and huge hospitality. I am looking forward to being part of your culture and learn as much as possible from this incredible experience.
Best wishes,
XXX XXX.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Three things (about the first paragraph).

I would delete the "and community" part unless you are writing to the whole town.

The first sentence is fine.

The rest of that paragraph is a bit strange. You talk about them reading the letter, and you talk about writing the letter. You could say that you appreciate their wonderful hospitality. (The expression is "a dream come true".)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph.

The first sentence is fine. For the second sentence, say you like meeting people from different cultural backgrounds.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph, third sentence.

Say:

My friends would describe me as ....

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Dear host family, [STRIKE]and community,[/STRIKE]
I would like to thank you for [STRIKE]being a[/STRIKE] volunteering [STRIKE]family and for[/STRIKE] to host [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] me for the next 10 months. You reading this letter means so much for me: it is a dream come true. [STRIKE]becoming reality.[/STRIKE] I'm putting a lot of effort [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] into writing this presentation letter because I know it is important for both you and me, so I hope I will make the best presentation possible.

[STRIKE]I am[/STRIKE] My name is XXX XXX, and I come from Italy. I'm a small city girl with a big passion for travelling and [STRIKE]meeting[/STRIKE] experiencing new cultures. I am 16 years old, and most of [STRIKE]the closest people around me[/STRIKE] my friends would describe me mainly as a curious, spontaneous and easy-going person. [STRIKE]From my curiosity I also developed[/STRIKE] I have a big interest in discovering new things and in [STRIKE]getting educated in[/STRIKE] learning about different topics; most of my friends like [STRIKE]holding an exchange of opinions[/STRIKE] discussing various things with me since they believe I have an open-minded point of view. Anyway, I am a strong girl just on the outside; in fact, people who know me well [STRIKE]better,[/STRIKE] know also that I am very sensitive, emotional and unable to lie. [STRIKE]At the same time, and it depends on the situations, I could be breezy and thoughtful.[/STRIKE] My relatives, classmates [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and even teachers are always describing me as a fun and cheerful girl [STRIKE], so it is somehow[/STRIKE] and a pleasure to be with. [STRIKE]spend time with me.[/STRIKE] I am always looking forward to doing something new and productive. [STRIKE]even though I have a lazy character. If it was my mother writing this she would say that I am quiet messy (and that is reflected on my bedroom's chaos) but at the end, I often realise on my own that I should be tidier and more careful.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Talking about my mom,[/STRIKE] I feel I should also introduce you my family even at [STRIKE]kilometres of[/STRIKE] a distance. [STRIKE]Starting with her, I must highlight the fact that she [/STRIKE] My mother is from Croatia, [STRIKE]so part of my family lives away from me. Anyway,[/STRIKE] and I get the chance to see my Croatian relatives twice a year. [STRIKE]and thanks to this[/STRIKE] Nevertheless, I am very [STRIKE]bounded with[/STRIKE] close to my grandparents, my uncles and my cousins overseas. I have a good relationship with my parents and for me it is easier, as an only child, to talk with them about school, my [STRIKE]lifelong[/STRIKE] future plans or just about anything else. My parents have always spent a lot of time with me, so we are a close-knit family. [STRIKE]having small talks. Also, my parents spent a lot of time with me since I was a child so both of my parental figures are solid and, with that being said, I could describe our family as a normal and peaceful one even though we are not perfect either. [/STRIKE]

Back to me, I must say that as an active teenager I do a lot of things in my spare time. As I said before, I like discovering new places and things. I usually spend [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] sunny afternoons outside, taking a long walk in the city centre or in the countryside, going to a café, riding my bike or chilling in the park with my friends. I can't define myself as an "outdoorsy" nor as an "indoorsy" person since I enjoy staying at home too. In fact, whenever it's dull or rainy, I like to read a good book, all wrapped in my wool blanket while drinking a cup of tea or, even better, hot chocolate. When I feel [STRIKE]quiet[/STRIKE] quite artistic, I also try [STRIKE]baking some[/STRIKE] making cookies or cakes with my mum. Also, to make studying slightly more fun, [STRIKE]funner,[/STRIKE] some of my classmates and I organise study sessions at the local library. [STRIKE]Other than[/STRIKE] Besides being a student, I am also an Italian Red Cross volunteer, and since this September I have been on [STRIKE]am part of[/STRIKE] the young committee of our local chapter. [STRIKE]my hometown centre.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Since[/STRIKE] This autumn I also enrolled in a Chinese language course and a theatre course in English. [STRIKE]So, as you may have realised, I really like learning new languages, whatever they are. Not only,[/STRIKE] Also, when I feel particularly [STRIKE]athletic[/STRIKE] energetic, I [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] go for a run or I do a spinning class at home. Nevertheless, I must say that my favourite sport is, and [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] will always be, volleyball because I have played it for about 9 years, and it [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] it has helped me to grow [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] emotionally.

Even though I do lots of things in my spare time, [STRIKE]outside my school timetable[/STRIKE] I always manage my time to study enough in order to maintain my high grades. I do care about my grades, but sometimes it is hard to do all my study tasks. I am not a genius, and neither am I someone who can spend their whole afternoon studying, but I enjoy most of my classes at school, especially Latin, Greek and English. I am not very good at chemistry, but I'm starting to like maths more this year. In my free time I also like reading newspapers or news magazines, and I much appreciate the fact that our school [STRIKE]is the one that[/STRIKE] encourages us to do so. I am attending a humanities high school, but in the future I would like to pursue a career in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] science, [STRIKE]field: in[/STRIKE] economics or global development.

I could keep [STRIKE]talking[/STRIKE] writing, [STRIKE]for pages and pages[/STRIKE] but I don't want to bore you and I can't actually wait to see you and tell you all about myself face to face! So again, a big thank you for your kindness and huge hospitality. I am looking forward to being part of your culture and learning as much as possible from this incredible experience.
Best wishes,

XXX XXX.
Note:
small-city girl [a girl who comes from a small city]
young city-girl [a young girl who lives in a city]
Do you mean either of those? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.