Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2015
    • Posts: 376
    #1

    I had my dinner

    I had my dinner.

    I have had my dinner.

    What is the difference between these sentences.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,500
    #2

    Re: I had my dinner

    Quote Originally Posted by suniljain View Post
    What is the difference between these sentences?
    End every question with a question mark.

    'Had' is the past tense of 'have', and 'have had' is the present perfect.

    Click here to read many earlier threads on the difference between these tenses. Ask again if you have any specific problems.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2015
    • Posts: 376
    #3

    Re: I had my dinner

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    End every question with a question mark.

    'Had' is the past tense of 'have', and 'have had' is the present perfect.
    Thanks, the links were very useful. May I conclude as below:

    I had my dinner- This sentence means that I finished my dinner long time ago

    I have had my dinner- This implies that I just finished my dinner.

    Please correct if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 18-Dec-2015 at 18:59. Reason: fixed formatting

  1. teechar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 6,180
    #4

    Re: I had my dinner

    The present perfect connects the past to the present. The example you gave describes one such possible context. Another would be a present result of a past action:
    e.g.,
    A: Would you care for a sandwich?
    B: No, thanks. I've (already) had my dinner.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2015
    • Posts: 376
    #5

    Re: I had my dinner

    Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    The present perfect connects the past to the present. The example you gave describes one such possible context. Another would be a present result of a past action:
    e.g.,
    A: Would you care for a sandwich?
    B: No, thanks. I've (already) had my dinner.
    Doesn't it also mean that I have finished my dinner recently?

  2. teechar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 6,180
    #6

    Re: I had my dinner

    Quote Originally Posted by suniljain View Post
    Doesn't it also mean that I have finished my dinner recently?
    Not necessarily. You could have finished your dinner quite a bit earlier.

  3. Tarheel's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 11,085
    #7

    Re: I had my dinner

    Quote Originally Posted by suniljain View Post
    Doesn't it also mean that I have finished my dinner recently?
    It could mean that. In fact, if you tell somebody you're not hungry because you have already eaten that in itself indicates how recently you might have eaten.

    (You shouldn't put too much on one sentence.)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #8

    Re: I had my dinner

    It means that there is a connection to now. With the example of dinner, it is likely to be fairly recent because we have dinner every day. However, if you say that you have eaten in a restaurant, it does not necessarily mean that it was very recent.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Feb-2015, 04:59
  2. had dinner vs were having dinner
    By katnoric32 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2015, 23:07
  3. dinner
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2011, 23:42
  4. at her dinner/dinner time/hour (starting) at 8pm
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2010, 05:37
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2009, 04:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •