English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: "Tobbaco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial"

On its own (without reading the rest of that paragraph) I believe it can be misinterpreted.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: "Tobbaco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial"

Technically, it can, but I don't know of any tobacco products that aren't allowed that could be beneficial. Rewriting as something like not allowing tobacco products, or your earlier example with banning would work better for me.

3. Newbie
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

I am writing an essay about whether the goverment should ban cigarettes and tobacco products or not. And I intend to write 2 paragraphs, the 1st one is to support the ban on these products. So I wrote "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial." as a topic statement. In my opinion, the subject here is "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market" and it is similar to "Banning tobacco products" or "Not allowing tobacco products" so I don't know why it would lead to a misunderstanding.

The thing is, I guess if I write "Tobacco products not being allowed" then I could use more complex grammar than "Not allowing tobacco products", and I have a tendency to write sentences like that. For example, today to write about the benefits of "teleworking", I wrote" Workers being allowed to work from home can be beneficial." instead of "Allowing workers to work from home..." But since I am not a native spaker, I am not sure that this is right. So I hope to receive your opinions.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I have no problem with your original, -hell_boy-. "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market" does mean that they are not allowed to circulate, leading to the assumption that they are banned, and the ban is beneficial.
    To me, it is awkward to say this, as it unclear whether banned products can be usefully used, or whether the ban itself is useful. Tobacco gives us a clue as to context, but the structure itself does not.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Maybe you could say:

It would be a good thing for society if tobacco products were banned. The adverse effects on health far outweigh any benefits there might be.

6. Newbie
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    To me, it is awkward to say this, as it unclear whether banned products can be usefully used, or whether the ban itself is useful. Tobacco gives us a clue as to context, but the structure itself does not.
    with your comment, I can see the problem. I think I will avoid this by just simply writing: "Not allowing tobacco products to circulate..."

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What about if they were not allowed to be sold?
    Last edited by Tarheel; 22-Dec-2015 at 05:10. Reason: spelling

8. Newbie
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

After thinking for a while, I am still confused. For example, if my mother promised to buy me a cell phone and then she did not keep her word, I can say: " I'm not happy with that decision. It is not about money, but about my mother breaking her promise." Then we can understand that I am not happy with "my mother breaking her promise" not "my mother who breaks her promise." Is this because of the context that we will understand the sentence?

9. Newbie
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    What about if they were not allowed t0 be sold?
    I don't get your idea?

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by -hell_boy- View Post
    I don't get your idea?
    Did you not understand my question?

(That is not a question.)

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last