"Tobbaco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial"

Status
Not open for further replies.

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Tobbaco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial"

Hey everyone, can you look at this sentence and point out any mistakes if I happened to make: "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial for a variety of reasons."
However, what I really want is ask you about the grammatical rule related to using "sth V-ing" as a Noun or a subject, such as "me being late" or "the room being full"... I have been using this subconsciously for a while and now I want to take a closer look at it. So hope that you can help. Thanks so much :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Re: "Tobbaco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial"

Hey everyone, can you look at this sentence and point out any mistakes [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] I may have made? [STRIKE]happened to make:[/STRIKE]

"Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial for a variety of reasons."
This actually says that those tobacco products can be beneficial. I suspect that's not what you intended to say!

Consider:
Banning tobacco products can be beneficial for a variety of reasons.

However, what I really want [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] to ask (you) about is the grammatical rule related to using "sth V-ing" as a noun or a subject, such as "me being late" or "the room being full". I have been using this subconsciously for a while, and now I want to take a closer look at it. So I hope that you can help. Thanks so much.
If the sentence I suggested above doesn't answer your question, let us know. ;-)

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Re: "Tobbaco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial"

actually I am about to write a paragraph proving that tobacco is beneficial in some ways. So yes "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market is beneficial for a variety of reasons." is what I intended to say. In that case, does it make sense? Cause I am trying to use complex grammatical range and diversified vocabulary so I do not want to use "Banning tobacco products..."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Write the rest of the paragraph you have in mind. That'll give us more context to work with.

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

Now that I read your comment more carefully: "This actually says that those tobacco products can be beneficial. I suspect that's not what you intended to say!" I think my sentence means that "tobacco products should be banned." In other words, I guess "Banning tobacco products can beneneficial for a variety of reasons." = "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market is beneficial for a variety of reasons."

And since you are interested in the rest of the paragraph, it would be nice if you can help me check it out :)

Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial for a variety of reasons. Firstly, smoking to excess would lead to serious health problems. Tobacco products, which are incredibly high in nicotine, are responsible for such ailments as heart attack or liver cancer. As these diseases are mostly preventable, all types of drugs should be banned to save the cost and hassle of treating them later on. Secondly, it is clear that tobacco products are highly addictive, compelling users to smoke on a day-to-day basis in order to get the nicotine's pleasurable effects and prevent withdrawal symptoms. No wonder people having this undesirable habit find it difficult to support their families financially.

On the other hand, there are strong arguments to suggest that cigarettes should be socially accepted. The main reason is that selling and buying tobaccos is a multimillion-dollar industry which has flourished for centuries. Given the social prejudice attached to this commodity, tobacco companies have to pay a huge sum in tax, helping the goverment generating more money. Consequently, those available financial resources can be directed towards improving the living standard of ordinary people, including healthcare services. Another reason is that cigarettes, like cocaine and caffein, if used sensibly, would not cause fatal diseases. Adult people have the right to determine what goes into their body and coming in fresh after smoking a cigarette can give them a better mood, greater vitality and actually improve the quality of their work.

Sorry if it is too long, let me know what you think about this essay. I would really appreciate.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You say "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial for a variety of reasons" and then the rest of the paragraph contradicts that sentence.

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

but I thought "tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market" means that "they are banned in the market" and then I write about the drawbacks of them ( leading to diseases and highly addictive ) to prove my point.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have no problem with your original, -hell_boy-. "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market" does mean that they are not allowed to circulate, leading to the assumption that they are banned, and the ban is beneficial.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

The topic sentence of your first paragraph can be misinterpreted as "Tobacco products ... can be beneficial." So you need to avoid that. That's what Tarheel and I are saying.
What type of essay are you writing? Can you show us the essay question?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I wouldn't misunderstand it as written. If it said "Tobacco products (currently banned from circulation) can be beneficial", that would be a different matter.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

On its own (without reading the rest of that paragraph) I believe it can be misinterpreted.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Technically, it can, but I don't know of any tobacco products that aren't allowed that could be beneficial. Rewriting as something like not allowing tobacco products, or your earlier example with banning would work better for me.

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

I am writing an essay about whether the goverment should ban cigarettes and tobacco products or not. And I intend to write 2 paragraphs, the 1st one is to support the ban on these products. So I wrote "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market can be beneficial." as a topic statement. In my opinion, the subject here is "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market" and it is similar to "Banning tobacco products" or "Not allowing tobacco products" so I don't know why it would lead to a misunderstanding.

The thing is, I guess if I write "Tobacco products not being allowed" then I could use more complex grammar than "Not allowing tobacco products", and I have a tendency to write sentences like that. For example, today to write about the benefits of "teleworking", I wrote" Workers being allowed to work from home can be beneficial." instead of "Allowing workers to work from home..." But since I am not a native spaker, I am not sure that this is right. So I hope to receive your opinions.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I have no problem with your original, -hell_boy-. "Tobacco products not being allowed to circulate in the market" does mean that they are not allowed to circulate, leading to the assumption that they are banned, and the ban is beneficial.
To me, it is awkward to say this, as it unclear whether banned products can be usefully used, or whether the ban itself is useful. Tobacco gives us a clue as to context, but the structure itself does not.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Maybe you could say:

It would be a good thing for society if tobacco products were banned. The adverse effects on health far outweigh any benefits there might be.

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

To me, it is awkward to say this, as it unclear whether banned products can be usefully used, or whether the ban itself is useful. Tobacco gives us a clue as to context, but the structure itself does not.

with your comment, I can see the problem. I think I will avoid this by just simply writing: "Not allowing tobacco products to circulate..."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

What about if they were not allowed to be sold?

Last edited:

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

After thinking for a while, I am still confused. For example, if my mother promised to buy me a cell phone and then she did not keep her word, I can say: " I'm not happy with that decision. It is not about money, but about my mother breaking her promise." Then we can understand that I am not happy with "my mother breaking her promise" not "my mother who breaks her promise." Is this because of the context that we will understand the sentence?

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

What about if they were not allowed t0 be sold?

I don't get your idea?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I don't get your idea?

Did you not understand my question?

(That is not a question.)

Status
Not open for further replies.