Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I understand that 25 Dec is a holiday, how about the other days before and after 25 Dec? Are there any other holidays besides 25 Dec?

Do people usually take leave before or after Christmas in USA? What dates?

Thanks

(I am not living in the US. Just want to know more about the culture.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
January 1 is also a holiday.

As for time off around Christmas, there is no general practice.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is boxing day Dec 26 a holiday?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not in the US, although Boxing Day is celebrated in the UK, Australia, Canada, and several other former British colonies.

Prior to Christmas on the 25th, some people observe Advent, which starts on the 4th Sunday before Christmas (usually end of November or first part of December). Other people observe Christmastide, or the 12 Days of Christmas for a period of about 12 days after December 25th.

However, all of these are Christian religious holidays, so observation practices (including dates and lengths) vary by denomination, and aren't celebrated by non-Christians. Some denominations of Christianity may not observe them either, or place little significance to them.

If you wished to take time off to observe them, you'd have to use some kind of personal or vacation leave, since they're not federally observed holidays.

As Mike said, there's no standard practice, but most business shut down all or part of Christmas day. Many companies or organizations do give employees at least a few days off around Christmas and perhaps again for New Year's, but that varies widely.

I work for a college, and we happen to get off Dec. 24th - Jan. 3rd. Again, that's just my particular college, and I'm pretty fortunate to get that lengthy of a paid holiday.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is 24 Dec a full working day?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually, yes.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It happens.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is 24 Dec a full working day?

Not in my experience. Dec 24 and 25 are company holidays where I work. Most professional offices are the same. We also get Jan 1 off. My previous company also gave Dec 31 off.

In manufacturing environments, it is or was common for factories to be shut down between Christmas and New Years. This allows for maintenance of equipment and allows for the large number of people who want to take the time off for vacation. (A similar week shutdown is usually scheduled in July.)

A lot of people save their vacation time and take off all or most of the days between Christmas and the New Year. Depending on the day of the week of Christmas, a lot of people will start early as well. I began my holiday on Dec 23. A lot of people didn't work at all this week.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My company gives us Dec 24 and 25 as paid holidays, as well as January 1. Most people I know are taking Dec 28-31 as vacation days. I'm taking Dec 28 as a vacation day and working the other three days.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the UK, the 25 and 26th are holidays for most people, and some places close until the new year.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In the UK, the 25 and 26th are holidays for most people, and some places close until the new year.

There is a similar trend in Canada. Many firms are pretty much shut down from Christmas to New Year's.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
There is a similar trend in Canada. Many firms are pretty much shut down from Christmas to New Year's.

Do firms shut down from Christmas to New Year's in US?

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Is Dec 31 a holiday? or half day holiday?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would say no. People work the full day on December 31. When I was a boss I would let people go home at mid-day or soon after on December 24th, under the implicit understanding that we would somehow manage to complete our full week's work, but not on December 31st.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not the custom here to get the day off on New Year's Eve. Instead, if you want to stay up late and party you have a whole day (New Year's Day) for rest and relaxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.