Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ladies and Gents,

I am not an English teacher. I am dyslexic and at least 2 of my 4 children (ages 6, 9, 11 and 17) are as well. They have all struggled with reading and writing at school. Recently I started teaching them to read. They are progressing rapidly compared to previous years. I came across this website in an attempt to improve my own language skills in oder to teach my children (the three younger ones all received extra support at school) however I believe the classroom teacher and the support personnel are unable to assist.

To gauge my own language skills I did some of your online tests. I am somewhat taken back by the lack of opportunity to provide feedback on the tests. I believe some of the answers are WRONG.

for example:
TEST: Airbus crisis over(Multiple Choice & True/False)

'
Airbus orders unveiled on Monday included Qatar Airways confirming a $16bn order for 80 A350 Airbus planes and ordering three A380 super-jumbos for about $750m.
'

Question 3
Q3 - Qatar Airways ordered
83 planes on Monday.
80 planes on Monday.
3 planes on Monday.

When I went to school 80 + three = 83.

The questions you got wrong:3: Qatar Airways ordered

Further Answer to Question 5 is also incorrect.

Q5 - Boeing
announced sales of the Dreamliner.
may sell some Dreamliners to General Electric.
may sell some Dreamliners to Delta Air Lines.

One peace of the text refers to the '787 Dreamliner'.
A later peace of text refers to the '787 jetliners'.
I do not believe the text allows the reader to 'know' the 787 jetliners and 787 jetliners are the one in the same, however this in inferred by the correct answer 'may sell some Dreamliners to Delta Air Lines. This specific section of the text refers to the jetliners.

Please don't get me wrong, I think these are amazing tools, but they are damaging when tests are wrong. This is just the latest example. I really struggled to undersand the correct answers for the Adjective V's Adverbs as well. Without the ability to provide feedback - how will these errors be corrected?

Thank you for reading, best regards

Justin

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The order for the 80 planes had already been made. There was a new order on Monday for 3.

I have changed Jetliner to Dreamliner for 5. Thank you for letting us know.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Justin, you used "peace" twice where "piece" should have been used.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can see how that one could be confusing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Digger, if you have any questions about adjectives or adverbs you can ask them here on the forum.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can see how that one could be confusing.

Many language tests are meant to be a bit confusing, so it's a fair question. In the second one, we were caught with our trousers down- it was a typing error.

Kev44

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi Digger. Maybe the website GED Easy may benefit you. They provide free video lessons for GED students and the videos are entertaining and highly effective. You can check it out here: http://gedeasy.com/ged-online-classes/ I teach basic English to foreign students abroad and use these lessons in my classroom. The lessons contain no relation to the airline industry, though. Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.