Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I have written a essay and need to evaluate. So, I do not know that use this forum to do this or not. So, I posted my question; but if it is forbidden in this forum, I want moderator to delete this thread.

Topic of essay: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Attending a live performance (for example, a play, concert, or sporting event) is more enjoyable than watching the same event on television. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

My essay:
Different people have diverse opinions that if attending a live performance is more enjoyable or watching it on a TV. Some of them prefer to go to cinemas, theaters and so on to see their hero and celebrities in a live show and get signs of them; however, I really disagree with their mentality and I want to stay at home and see the concert on my TV. I am a lazy person and prefer to speak with my friend during a performance; in addition, I hate to waste my time in civic traffic to arrive in a cinema.

First of all, I want to admit that I am an indolent person who prefer to live more and more convenient. For example, I never spend my time for sport and I always flee from going to gym. So I think it is better for me to loll on a sofa and watch a live performance on TV. Enjoying the performance in a quiet environment, such as personal home, without any physical activity to go to cinema, theater and so on, is a convincing pastime for such a lazy guy that I am.

Furthermore, in a cinema or other public environment, viewers focus on the concert and we have to be silent and cannot speak with our friends or family members. In our house and watching the TV, we can converse with our friends about a common topic such as the concert. It means that at the same time that we watch the concert, we also can chitchat and improve our relationship with our friends. It is obvious that having common hobby with our friends can build positive relationship and it is the thing that most of us want from our friends.

Apart from being lazy and have pleasant time with my friends, I hate civil problems that I have to tolerate in my city. I live in a city which suffer from heavy traffic and I have to waste much time to arrive to the nearest cinema and then stand in long queues, because this city is very crowded. For example, I am obligated to spend one hour to go to my office every morning and the same time to come back to home at evening. In addition, I do not want to suffer the harsh sound of the cars in the streets, which can leads to neurological problems, linger beyond the red lights, and smell stinky garbage and others.

In conclusion, I think that the best fun activity, for me, during vocation is watching a live concert on TV with my sincere friends and drink beverage and eat sandwich together. I never change this pastime with wasting my time to go a cinema. The more staying at home and watching TV with my friends, the better vacation for me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I can't clearly see the themes/boundaries of your body paragraphs. To me, they all seem to revolve around "convenience."

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
sorry I cannot understand what you mean! Would you please explain your comment more. Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Sorry, I cannot understand what you mean! Would you please explain your comment more clearly? Thanks.
I meant that you seem to have split one (convenience) idea, which should have been dealt with in a single paragraph, into three paragraphs! Surely you could have talked about, e.g., cost, better views ... etc.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not only is it more convenient to stay home rather than going to the cinema, but you also save money that way. Not only do you not have to pay for tickets, but you can make your own snacks.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you, but I mean to evaluate the essay grammatically or the words which are opted. I know that I can improve the writing with increase more details but I wrote it in a limited time as a test. So, I can write in the real exam, GRE or Tofel, only this size of writing. If you see an error, grammatically or opting words or punctuation and others, I will appreciate if you say. Thank you very much.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah, there are plenty of errors. I will offer some corrections.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Some people prefer live performances. Others prefer to watch the same thing on TV.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are you going to submit this essay to your teacher/tutor?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What are words which are opted?

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks emsr2d2, I never submit it to any teacher. I am studying English in my room alone and trying to improve my writing for Tofel and GRE exams. So I need you to revise my essay.

Thanks Tarheel, I have not opted any word, because I am not confident which word is right or wrong. I want you to revise each part or word that you think that they are wrong.

Thank you all.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you have no enough time to discuss or explain the wrong parts, I will appreciate if you determine errors with red color font and I myself spend more time understand them. Bless you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's TOEFL, but I'm not sure what the first two letters stand for.

Say:

I haven't submitted my essay to a teacher, nor do I have any plans to do so.

-------------------------------------------

Please pay close attention to my suggestions. I have plenty of experience doing this sort of thing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what it means to opt a word. That's why I asked the question.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I would appreciate it if you would point out my errors using red. I will learn from that.

----------------------

I have to go to bed now, so it will be several hours before I get back on the forum. That is, it will be if I fall asleep and don't wake up too soon.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hope you don't absolutely have to see red to learn.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have not opted any word of the essay. I want you to review and revise the essay or point out errors using red.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still don't know what you mean by "opted". Deleted?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I have written an essay, and I need to evaluate it.

(More later.)

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I do not mean anything from "opted". I only want somebody help me and review the mentioned essay. I will appreciate if anybody do that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.