• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ...

I want to shorten the text in the title of a document that I am currently preparing. What I want to say in the title is the following -- "Fast, Delay-Efficient and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information", but I want to say this in short. Which of the following would be acceptable/correct?

1. "Fast, Delay and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that '-Efficient' has been removed after the word 'Delay')
    2. "Fast, Delay- and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that 'Efficient' has been removed while retaining the hypen after the word 'Delay')

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ..

Neither of your shorter alternatives is actually shorter. Anyhow, they both look fine to me. Not that I know what you're talking about.

Welcome to the forum!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ..

Quote Originally Posted by srinathnarasimha View Post
    I want to shorten the text in the title of a document that I am currently preparing. What I want to say in the title is the following -- "Fast, Delay-Efficient and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information", but I want to say this in short. Which of the following would be acceptable/correct?

1. "Fast, Delay and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that '-Efficient' has been removed after the word 'Delay')
    2. "Fast, Delay- and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that 'Efficient' has been removed while retaining the hypen after the word 'Delay')

Thanks in advance.
    Only the second proposal is strictly correct. You need the hyphen after the word "delay" to indicate that, along with "throughput", it's linked to "efficient". I prefer the original title because it requires less parsing to understand.
    I am not a teacher.