Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hy guys ! I still learn english and I have problems with a listening.
I have a few questions for you.
Firstable, I watch a lot of films in english version. When actors speak clearly I understand most of what they speak. But sometimes they have a very strange accents(for me) and I can't understand anything what they speak. ! I mean, Film as "Django". Maybe you watched it. Without subilities I don't understend a lot of sentences they speak. It's a bit annoying for me. I learn english shortly and I don't know how I should improve my listening skills. Do you have some advices?

Questions to natives and non-natives, Do you understand a each word when you hear something?
How should I exercise a listening in order to improve it?
At the end, what do you think about this book : http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Phonetics-Phonology-Paperback-Audio/dp/052171740X .
I want to learn IPA and I found this book. I have problems with phonetic symbols. Maybe this book will be good for me?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hy guys ! I'm still learning english and I have problems with [STRIKE]a listening[/STRIKE]aural comprehension.
I have a few questions for you.
First[STRIKE]able[/STRIKE], I watch a lot of films in English [STRIKE]version[/STRIKE]. When actors speak clearly I understand most of what they say [STRIKE]speak[/STRIKE]. But sometimes they have [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] very strange accents (for me) and I can't understand anything that [STRIKE]what [/STRIKE]they say [STRIKE]speak[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]![/STRIKE] For example, perhaps you've seen the film "Django".[STRIKE]I mean, Film as "Django". Maybe you watched it.[/STRIKE] Without subtitles [STRIKE]subilities[/STRIKE] I don't understa[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]nd a lot of sentences they say [STRIKE]speak[/STRIKE]. It's a bit annoying for me. I've only been learning E[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]nglish for a little while [STRIKE]shortly[/STRIKE] and I don't know how I should improve my listening skills. Do you have some advice[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]?

Questions to natives and non-natives:[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] Do you understand [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] each word when you hear something?
How should I practice [STRIKE]exercise a[/STRIKE] listening in order to improve[STRIKE] it[/STRIKE]?
Finally [STRIKE]At the end[/STRIKE], what do you think about this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Phonetics-Phonology-Paperback-Audio/dp/052171740X .
I want to learn IPA and I found this book. I have problems with phonetic symbols. Maybe this book will be good for me?

It's normal to miss a word here or there. Spoken language contains a lot of redundancy, so fluent listeners fill in the missing words pretty reliably. As a beginner, you will miss a lot more words. This is also normal. I advise you to keep practicing as much as possible.

When I was working on my French comprehension, I found that historical dramas were easier to understand than stories set in the present. I'm sure the same thing applies with English-language films. Viewers instinctively feel that spoken language was more like the written language in the past than it is today, so more formal language feels right for older settings.

The best historical dramas for easier comprehension would feature middle- or upper-class characters, as these are the people writers present as speaking a language most similar to the written language.

Status
Not open for further replies.