[Grammar] May I ask what is the principle that I'm poor at please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald Ong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi everyone! Thank you for visiting my thread, I'm a Singaporean currently waiting for my university to start. In the meantime I've decided to start a website but I realised I've a lot of grammar problems throughout my site and when I searched for answers, I couldn't find one because I don't know what term to search for.

If it's possible, could you help me identify what's the principle or rule that I'm constantly struggling with please? Here are the two sentences

1) At BG Academy, our trainees are always at the top of our mind (is it mind or minds? the full context can be found at here

2) That the girls and the boys sometimes read quietly always seems strange. (Why is it read and not reads & why is it seems not seem?)

Any help would be most appreciated. I thank you for reading my question and Happy new year everybody!
- Gerald Ong

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi everyone! Thank you for [STRIKE]visiting[/STRIKE] reading my thread. I'm a Singaporean, currently waiting for my university to start. In the meantime, I've decided to start a website, but I realised [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] I have a lot of grammar problems throughout my site, and when I searched for answers, I couldn't find [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] any because I don't know what term to search for.

If it's possible, could you help me identify what the principle or rule that I'm constantly struggling with is, please? Here are the two sentences:

1) At BG Academy, our trainees are always [STRIKE]at the[/STRIKE] our top priority. [STRIKE]of our mind (is it mind or minds? the full context can be found at here[/STRIKE]
Now, that sentence sounds natural.

2) That the girls and the boys sometimes read quietly always seems strange.
Why is it "read" and not "reads", and why is it "seems" not "seem?"

"Read"
is correct because the subject (the girls and the boys) is plural.
"Seems" is correct because it refers to a situation. It seems always seems strange.

Any help would be most appreciated. I thank you for reading my question, and Happy New Year everybody!
- Gerald Ong
You're welcome, and Happy New Year to you too, Gerald. :rainbowa:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Number agreement is one of the most complex things in English for me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a question, Gerald Ong. Why do you call them "trainees" and not "students"?

Status
Not open for further replies.