Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Please, I need help to improve this title (it's for a journal article)

"Spatial Distribution of roots of coffee plants of different ages in areas under conservation management practices"

Is the sentence above correct? What I mean is:

spatial distribution of roots, and these are roots of coffee plants studied in an experiment; coffee plants of different ages (plants were 2 and 5 years old); in the coffee plants field was employed conservation management practices

Thanks in advance :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although the title is already quite long, was the purpose to look at plant yield? You may want to add something like that too.
Effect on Yield by Varying Spatial Distribution of Roots of Coffee Plants of Different Ages

Is it really essential to the title of the article to say the fields were using conservation management practices?
Effect on Yield by Varying Spatial Distribution of Roots of Coffee Plants of Different Ages, Using Conservation Management

isabordini

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
No, the purpose was not to look at plant yield. The goal was to observe the spatial distribution of roots when it's applied specific conservationist practices described on the article (in other words, the effect of management practices on spatial root distribution when applied in fields with plants of different ages)). So it's relevant to mention the use of management practices.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So the spacing of the roots was the result, not the variable being manipulated?

Your original is probably as good as it gets then. Notice how titles are capitalized, though.

isabordini

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Yes, that's right, the spatial distribution of roots was the result.

So, what about "Root Spatial distribution of coffee plants of different ages in areas under conservation management practices"? instead of the original one (one of my concerns is the fact that the original one uses the word "of" three times)

Thanks in advance :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note the correct spelling of "sentence" (not "sencente" as you wrote in your title).

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about something like this?

Root Spatial Distribution in Coffee Plants of Different Ages Under Conservation Management Practice Areas

or

Root Spatial Distribution Among Coffee Plants of Different Ages in Conservation Management Practice Areas

You could also substitute 'Varying' or 'Various' for 'Different',

isabordini

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
It's a great idea. I will choose the first one for my paper. Thank you. It helped me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.