Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi!
This sentence is from a book written nearly 420 years ago in Spanish, translated 110 years ago into English. I have problem with the bold Sentence. It is about a Spanish traveler in the territory of Turks, two nations with fierce enemity in that time:

I held it safer to stay aboard; for Spanish subjects cannot there trust themselves freely amongst the Turks without imprudence. When they do, it is with fear, and with precaution, that they be not known and accused of some treason. Least of all is it safe for such, like that hidalgo as know not how to serve the time.
Thanks very much.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"It is least safe for people like Hidalgo, who don't know how to serve the time."
"Serve time" means "spend time in prison", which I think is the meaning here. I also think 'hidalgo' is a name, and should be capitalised.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hidalgo - noble, person with property.

A hidalgo is a Spanish gentleman.

Also, I think "serve time" in this case means to spend time in the country, in this case Turkey. Apparently, Spaniards and Turks were not getting along very well at that time

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Good catch, Skrej.

pars, the title of your earlier thread was excellent. If you had given this thread the same title, the system would have found it and shown it in Similar Threads below.

Status
Not open for further replies.